Today is National Roller Coaster Day. We’re sure most of your are like us and couldn’t make it to a coaster today to celebrate. So, we thought we’d bring the coasters to you! Here’s a list of 10 of the best roller coasters that Disney has to offer. How many of these have you ridden?
1. TRON Lightcycle Power Run- This coaster is an absolutely fan favorite at Shanghai Disney resort where visitors board lifecycles and experience high speed thrills as the Grid comes alive! What has us particularly excited about this coaster is that due to its success overseas Disney has decided to replicate it at Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom. This is an addition that we can’t wait to experience!
2. Space Mountain – When most people think Disney thrill rides this is usually the first attraction that comes to mind. There are many fantastic incarnations of this indoor coaster including: Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Resort, and Hong Kong Disneyland. Disneyland Paris does a fantastic Star Wars themed version of this classic attraction and each year Disneyland Resort in California gives it a Halloween themed overlay called Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. Whichever one you try one thing is for certain, Disney has succeeded in provide a unique space adventure that will have you squealing with delight.
3. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – Magic Kingdom’s newest coaster comes in a just over 2 minutes but what it lacks in length it certain makes up for in fun and thrills. This family friendly coaster boasts some absolutely beautiful views of the Fantasyland area of the park as well brilliant scenes showcasing the much loved Seven Dwarfs. A version of this ride is also winning over visitors at Shanghai Disney Resort!
4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – One of Disney’s iconic “mountains” this classic coaster as been bringing the thrills for many a Frontierland visitor. Paying homage to the hayday of the American Gold Rush guests board an out of control mine train embarking on a perilous journey through an abandoned mine shaft. Coaster enthusiasts will find versions of this attraction at Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland.
5. Expedition Everest – Pay a visit to the Himalayas in search of the illusive Yeti during this thrilling Animal Kingdom coaster ride. From the queue to the mountain itself, guests will be wowed by the amazing details that went into the planning of Expedition Everest really conveying the feeling of being in Southeast Asia. The view from the top of the mountain also offers beautiful views of Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
6. California Screamin – Few Disneyland attractions are as iconic as this beautiful coaster rising gracefully along Paradise Pier. A throwback to the wooden roller coasters of days gone by, its a thrill a minute ride between the 120-foot plunge and the 360 degree loop. This coaster is definitely a Disneyland “must-do”.
7. Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril – A fan favorite across the pond at Disneyland Paris, this coaster manages to re-create the thrill of the mine car scene from “Temple of Doom” except this time you’re in it as you twist and turn your way through the dark, ominous ruins. With rumors circulating that an Indiana Jones-themed land could be on it’s way to Animal Kingdom, this is definitely an attraction that we’d like to see stateside!
8. Raging Spirits – This Tokyo DisneySea attraction is mighty impressive . Guests are sent whipping through the ruins of an ancient ceremonial site. You never know what’s going to be around the next corner. The coaster also represents Disney Imagineering at its best. With so many wonderful details, you won’t know where to turn your gaze next!
9. Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster – Launching guests from 0-60 MPH in mere seconds, this indoor coaster remains of of Disney World’s most popular headlining attractions. If that’s not enough to get your adrenaline pumping then the amazing soundtrack featuring songs by Aerosmith and the colorful scenery in the attraction definitely will. You’ll also find a version of this coaster at Disneyland Paris.
10. Matterhorn Bobsleds – We end this list with the iconic coaster giving us the West Coast Yeti! The setting for this mountain coaster is the Swiss Alps where guests will weave through scary caves and speed along rocky ledges before coming face to face with this legendary creature. Opening in 1959, guests really do feel like you’re riding a bit of Disney history but the thrills are timeless.
So next time you find yourself at a Disney theme park be sure to give some of the amazing thrill rides on our list a try and experience first hand why Disney isn’t just for kids!
Planning a trip to Disney? Fill out our form below and receive your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I will be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect resort to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019