Today our beloved Magic Kingdom marks its 45th Anniversary. But how do you celebrate a park responsible for providing most of us with some of the most memorable moments of our lives? Here’s our tiny tribute in the form of our 45 things to love about this amazing theme park.
1. Rope Drop – You know you’ve arrived at Disney with this all-singing, all-dancing opening show!
2. Family of the Day – A heaping dose of pixie dust is handed out to one lucky family each day as they are picked to open the park.
3. Arriving by Boat – Nothing quite compares to the feeling of sailing toward Cinderella’s Castle from the TTC or select Deluxe Resorts.
4. Talking Mickey – Pop into the Town Square Theater for a meet and greet that makes all others pale in comparison.
5. Harmony Barber Shop- Whether its a first haircut or just a trim, a visit to Magic Kingdom’s working Barber Shop is simply magical.
6. Citizens of Main Street – Whether it’s Smokey the Fire Chief or Hildegard the socialite, this cast of characters always livens up Main Street.
7. Mickey’s Kitchen Sink Sundae- Served up at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, its not only delicious but comes in the best souvenir container ever.
8. 8:00am Breakfast Reservations – Nab an 8am breakfast reservation at Be Our Guest or Crystal Palace and gain early entry to the park.
9. Dole Whips – No trip to the Kingdom is complete without a helping of this pineapple soft-serve. It is legendary.
10. The Spitting Camel near the Magic Carpets of Aladdin – I don’t know how he does it but he manages to get me every time!
11. Jungle Cruise – Serving up its own brand of deadpan humor since 1971.
12. Jingle Cruise – In November – December, Jungle Cruise gets a holiday makeover – Christmas decorating has never been so funny!
13. Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial- An often overlooked but fantastic chance for your little pirate to learn swordsmanship from Captain Jack.
14. A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the 7 Seas– Interactive scavenger hunt showing you there’s more to Adventureland then meets the eye.
15. The Pirates League – Always wondered what grandpa would look like as a pirate? A makeover for swashbucklers of all ages.
16. Splash Mountain – A Zip-a-Dee–Doo–Dah of a ride, this attraction is delightfully charming whether its your first ride or your 100th.
17. Woody and Jesse Meet and Greet – Near Splash Mountain, this character meet and greet will melt the hearts of children and adults alike.
18. Country Bear Jamboree – Because there are few things funnier than Big Al.
19. Frozen Cokes at Liberty Square Market- Many people don’t know they exist. An amazing way to cool off.
20. The Haunted Mansion- The 999 Happy Haunts at Magic Kingdom have been in residency since 1971. But there’s always room for a few more…
21. Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe – No matter what time of year you visit, you’ll leave this Liberty Square shop feeling like its Christmas.
22. Liberty Square Riverboat – A relaxing journey down the Mighty Mississippi with Mark Twain as your guide.
23. Rapunzel’s Tangled Tower- Never again in your life will a trip to the restrooms be this whimsical.
24. The 2nd Floor at Columbia Harbour House – A sea of calm in an otherwise heaving park.
25. The Interactive Queue at Peter Pan’s Flight- If you have to wait in line for 60 mins, then a magical stroll through the Darling nursery is the way to go.
26. Enchanted Tales with Belle – You had me at a mirror that turns into a magical porthole. It just gets better from there.
27. Gaston Meet and Greet – He’s such a tall, dark, strong and handsome brute. Not to mention incredibly funny.
28. The West Wing at Be Our Guest – From the enchanted rose to the claps of thunder this dining room puts the A in ambiance.
29. Le Fou’s Brew at Gaston’s Tavern – This may be blasphemy but I think this frozen apple juice concoction rivals the Dole Whip!
30. Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover- Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. For those that appreciate Space Mountain better from afar.
31. Princess Merida Meet and Greet – It’s easy to miss Fairytale Garden nestled behind Cinderella’s Castle but its one of the most heartwarming character interactions on offer.
32. Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station – When it’s that hot out, you’re never too old for water play.
33. Carousel of Progress – Because there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.
34. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique – Fairy godmothers making girls into princesses and parents into a sobbing mess.
35. The Sword in the Stone – Located near the Carousel, the look on their faces when they become the next King of England – Priceless.
36. Mickey’s Philharmagic – Though its not tops on a lot of touring plans, this 3D Movie Musical is Disney at its best!
37. Festival of Fantasy Parade -Characters galore and a fire-breathing dragon. Magical doesn’t even begin to describe this afternoon parade.
38. Cinderella’s Royal Table- Because who doesn’t want to dine with Princesses in a castle?
39. Emporium – Casey’s Corner- For those of you that haven’t realized, it’s one big AMAZING shop. Perfect for those Florida downpours.
40. Celebrate the Magic and Wishes- From the projections on the castle, to the flying Tinkerbell and the fireworks, this is what Disney dreams are made of.
41. Turkey Legs – Found in Tomorrowland. Because if you’re going to have the meat sweats you might as well have them at Disney.
42. Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom Tour- Because the Utilidor does exist and this is your chance to see it.
43. The Cast Members – Magic Kingdom just wouldn’t be nearly as magical without them! Thank you for all you do.
44. Evening Extra Magic Hours – Because riding Big Thunder Mountain at 12 am is pretty darn amazing.
45. The Kiss Goodnight – Has there ever been a better way to say adieu than this magical send off?
With so many incredible things to see and do at the Magic Kingdom, this list couldn’t even come close to being comprehensive. Let us know if your favorite things about the Magic Kingdom made the cut or are missing from the mix. And here’s to another 45 magical years.
Planning a trip to Disney World? Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those difficult dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019