On June 16th, 1995, Disney released its box office hit, ‘Pocahontas’. It has been over 25 years since this animated, historical romance was released and it still holds a firm place in the hearts of fans worldwide. Though the Disney version of this tale romanticizes and embellishes the true story, for 90s Disney, the film attempted to bring some authenticity to the image of Native Americans. Its grammy-winning music and stunning imagery are something that has made what could have been a simple movie a true Disney Renaissance classic.
- A Model Voice
- Irene Bedard, not only voiced Pocahontas but was also used as a model for the animation! She is also known for her Native American lead roles – and Pocahontas ended up being the actress’s second film.
- A Positive Change
- Many history buffs are quick – and accurate – to call out the many historical inconsistencies between Disney’s Pocahontas and the real Pocahontas. But, one positive role this film plays, is that it works to show what real Native Americans were like. Native American historians and consultants were brought in to make sure things were done as authentically as possible – story aside.
- What’s in a Number?
- Though it is not uncommon for a team of artists to be in charge of characters, Pocahontas was a completely different story! Up to 55 animators worked on the Disney princess.
- To Meet or Not to Meet?
- The voice of Pocahontas, Irene Bedard, actually never met her costar Mel Gibson, who played John Smith! During the premiere of the film, Gibson was busy filming Braveheart, so the two never had a chance to meet!
- Stewart, Fry, or Neither?
- The role of Ratcliffe was a little more tricky to find due to scheduling conflicts! Stephen Fry and Patrick Stewart were on the docket to be the voice of Ratcliffe but had to bow out. Luckily, David Ogden-Stiers, who had voiced Cogsworth, was simply perfect for the job.
Did we miss any of your favorite facts? Let us know in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Disney
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- Featurette: 10 Reasons to Watch Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney+! - September 20, 2022
- 6 Facts About the 1973 Classic: Robin Hood - September 16, 2022
- 6 Facts About The Rescuers That All Fans Should Know! - September 9, 2022