We get asked alot here at Disney Addicts about our favorite character dining experiences and surprisingly the one that frequently tops our list can’t be found near a theme park. For those lucky enough to be planning a visit to Aulani – A Disney Resort & Spa in Hawaii, you won’t want to miss the opportunity to indulge in a bountiful breakfast with character at Makahiki. To give you a small taste of what’s on offer, here are five reasons why we think this restaurant comes out tops!
1. The Characters – Guests at the Makahiki breakfast buffet get to start the morning off right with a visit from a few of your much-loved Disney friends. Guests can stop to pose for a photo with Mickey and will also have a chance to rub shoulders with Minnie Mouse and Pluto. It may be early in the morning but you’ll definitely want to have your cameras at the ready.
2. The Decor – The main dining room at Makahiki’s is absolutely beautiful with spacious and colorful murals, local artwork and wonderful glasswork Everywhere you turn, there’s an amazing feature that makes you feel totally immersed in this magical experience and all these wonderful accents come together to really evoke the spirit of the islands.
3. The Food – You’ll be in awe of the wide range of foods available during the breakfast buffet. Each morning guests will find a fun array of family favorites which typically includes pancakes, waffles (like the Iron Man ones being served up during our visit- see below), house-baked pastries, and a build-your-own omelette station.
However, where this breakfast really comes into its own is with the incredible array of exotic fruit on offer (we recommend you fill up on this as much as possible) as well as the Chinese and Japanese cuisine.
All of these different elements combine to make a breakfast that instead of being bog-standard is something truly unique.
4. Makahiki Is Open Air – You know you’ve truly arrived in Hawaii when you indulge in a delicious breakfast while enjoying the ocean breeze. The dining hall is open air with giant windows that open to overlook the Waikolohe Valley pool area. A table near the windows is definitely the way to go to get the best of both worlds, the ambience of the of the incredible restaurant coupled with the island views.
5. Aunty! – As the legend of Aulani goes, Aunty and Uncle purchased a spot of land near the beach and built a beach house that is now the Kid’s Club you’ll find on property. They are important characters at Aulani who you’ll encounter regularly during your stay to share the traditions of Hawaii. Aunty is considered to be a true expert in Hawaiin history and cultural traditions and you’ll find her at the Makahiki breakfast leading kids on a parade throughout the restaurant and playing traditional Hawaiian songs.
Check out this video of our visit with Aunty:
When it comes to character dining Disney-style we think you’ll agree that it doesn’t get much better than Makahiki! For those interested in making this a part of your Aulani experience, the cost is $39 per adult and $20 for kids between the ages of 3-9.
Thinking about a visit to Aulani? Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote and start planning your Hawaiian getaway.
Click here for your FREE no obligation quote!
Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you get the best discounts for your Disney World vacation package, assist with making dining, Fastpass and Christmas Party reservations and can even help you plan an itinerary filled with extra special Christmas touches. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Contact me at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook and let’s get planning!
Image copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019