Attention all buccaneers! Are you planning on stretching your sea legs at Walt Disney World this year? Do your crew have tastes that are more scallywag than princess? Then Disney has you covered with a treasure trove of activities that speak to your inner pirate. From sword fighting tutorials, to high-spirited seafaring adventures, there’s plenty of offerings that will appeal to the sea dogs in your crew- with a hidden treasure or two thrown in for good measure. Chart a course for Disney and take advantage of these 8 Must-dos for Pirate lovers.
1. Pirate Themed Rooms Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – The perfect place to rest your weary head after a day at the parks, this moderate resort provides a big dose of pirate theming. The secluded island setting, colorful Caribbean architecture and Spanish fort themed central pool areas with a Pirate styled soak station, make Disney’s Caribbean Beach resort the perfect backdrop for your very own pirate adventure. In keeping with the theme, Disney has nearly 400 pirate guest rooms located in the Trinidad South section of the resort. With beds so convincingly ship-like they may actually be sea worthy, jolly rogers galore, casks and crates as your furnishings and numerous nautical touches, these rooms are sure to delight your pirate crew.
A word of caution for all you peg-legged pirates out there, these secluded and tranquil tropical hideaways are furthest away from central amenities and require at least a 10 minute walk.
2. Pirate Adventure Cruises– Four of Disney’s Resorts offer special pirate-themed morning cruises for corsairs ages 4-12. Crew members don bandannas, board their pirate ship and embark on one of 4 cruises complete with tall tales and buried treasure. Each resort offers a a distinct adventure and they are as follows:
- Disney Pirate Adventure at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort. Sailing every Monday through Saturday.
- Islands of the Caribbean at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort sailing every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday.
- Bayou Pirate Adventure departing from Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday.
- Albatross Treasure Cruise embarking from Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Ships sail each morning at 9:30 am and the voyage lasts approx. 2 hrs. A snack is included in the cost. Guests do not need to be staying at the resort to take part. Advance booking is highly recommended. Contact your travel agent or phone Disney at 407-939-7529.
3. Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage – For those pirates who prefer to do their pillaging at night, the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage is your chance to join forces with Captain Hook and Mr. Smee and sail the Seven Seas (Lagoon). Be treated to a banquet fit for a Captain at Disney’s Contemporary Resort including snacks, beverages and Mickey ice cream bars. Learn to limbo and have your picture taken with your hosts before taking part in a pirate parade through the resort. Board you vessel and embark on an evening of games, laughs, sea shanties and some of the most spectacular views of Wishes Nighttime Spectacular on Disney property.
The Voyage departs nightly from Disney’s Contemporary resort starting 1 hour before Wishes. The cost is $69.00 for adults and $41.00 for children. Contact your TA or call 407-939-7529 to book your place.
4. The Pirates League – Tucked away next to The Pirates of the Caribbean ride, this secret hideaway is the perfect spot for those looking to trade in their mouse ears for a tricorn hat. A haven for pirates looking for a new look, The Pirate’s League offers a variety of makeover packages including: pirate make-up, costumes, a Captain Hook makeover, a pirate princess package and even an option for mermaids in the making. Guests are also given their official pirate name and if they mind their pirate p’s and q’s are treated to a surprise! Visitors to The Pirates League are also invited to participate in the Adventureland Pirate Parade taking place daily at 4:00pm. Parents should also take note that services are not limited only to your little mateys. Grown-ups are encouraged to join the kids and get made over!
The Pirates League is open daily from 9am- 4pm. Advanced booking is strongly recommended and can be made at 180 days. Call 407-WDW-CREW. Prices starts at $29.95 but are considerably more for deluxe packages or if costumes are purchased.
5. Jack and the Neverland Pirates at Hollywood Studios – For those wee pirates that prefer Jake to Jack Sparrow, Hollywood Studios offers a few swashbuckling Never Sea themed options:
- Disney Junior – Live on Stage! is a great starting point. This 20 minute puppet show features sketches from Disney Junior friends including; Sofia, Doc McStuffins and everyone’s favorite Neverland pirate as you help Jake thwart Captain Hook’s evil plan to steal Jake’s treasure.
- Jake Meet and Greet- Jake appears daily in the Animation Courtyard next to Disney Junior – Live on Stage to pose for photos and sign autographs.
- Disney Junior Play ‘n’ Dine – If you prefer to meet Jake for a breakfast or lunch date, then Hollywood and Vine is your place. Join Jake as well as your other favorite Disney Junior friends for an hour filled with fun, dancing, a tasty buffet, and photo opportunities. Visit Disneyworld.com for further details.
6. Captain Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial – Jedi Training Academy seems to be all the rage these days but Captain Jack’s pirate-themed crash course offers a great alternative in Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland. Participants are not able to sign up in advance but instead are plucked from the audience for each performance. The tutorial provides young swashbucklers with an opportunity to learn swordsmanship directly from Captain Jack. Each apprentice is given a chance to perfect their pirating skills before being inducted as an official member of Jack Sparrow crew. Participants receive a keepsake certificate.
Showtimes vary so check the Times Guide upon arriving at the Magic Kingdom. Guests have a greater chance of being picked to join Jack’s crew if they are wearing pirate garb.
7. A Pirates Adventure – Treasures of the Seven Seas – This free Pirate themed scavenger hunt sends buccaneers on an “at-your-own-pace” treasure hunt into the more remote corners of Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland. Interested parties must report for duty at the Crow’s Nest in Adventureland where they will be given a talisman, a treasure map and will select 1 of 5 adventures. Follow the clues at your own peril and beware of Captain Barbossa who may have a few tricks up his sleeves to thwart your attempts. If ye be brave enough to complete all five missions you’ll be rewarded with a special commendation from Captain Jack.
8. Me Pirate Adventure – For those that have plundered enough loot to afford the $395.00 price tag, Disney Floral and Gifts offer an in-room celebration that is sure to make any pirate feel like they’ve hit the jackpot. While you are out on your pirating adventures, your resort room will be visited by Captain Jack’s band of scoundrels and scallywags who think your room is the ideal hiding place to stash some of Blackbeards treasure. Follow the hidden clues left around your room to try and track down his hidden cache. Contact Disney Floral and Gifts at 407-939-4438 to book this in room celebration for your special pirates-in-the-making!
Quick Tip: No pirate adventure would be complete without a ride on The Pirates of the Caribbean. With recent refurbishments to lighting systems, animatronics and ride mechanics, this Disney classic is better than ever. Lines can get long by midday so try to catch your ship first thing in the morning or consider getting a Fastpass.
Thinking about embarking on a Disney holiday? Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook. Not only will I help you book your next Disney vacation (with no fees attached) but I’ll also make sure your holiday is smooth sailing and will even help you add a bit of Pirate panache.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019