Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland celebrates its 53rd anniversary today, March 18! The attraction debuted at Disneyland park this day in 1967 and has thrilled hundreds of millions of guests from around the world. The ride is steeped in detail and rollicking pirate fun. It debuted as a technological marvel and storytelling masterpiece and, for decades, this award-winning attraction has been considered one of the pinnacles of theme park experiences worldwide.
Here are some of the fun facts, trivia, and milestones associated with one of Walt Disney’s greatest entertainment achievements.
- The attraction features over 120 animatronic men, women and animals
- Considered to be the last attraction that Walt Disney personally supervised.
- A version of Pirates can be found at every Disney resort around the world except Hong Kong.
- Imagineer Marc Davis created many of the memorable characters in the attraction
- His wife, Imagineer Alice Davis, designed many of the costumes
- Following the success of the film, an animatronic Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) was added in 2006.
- The iconic song “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life For Me)” was written George Bruns with lyrics by Imagineer X Atencio
- Guests ride through the attraction for approximately 15 minutes, on one of the longest rides at Disneyland Resort
- Approximately 400,000 pieces of gold coins and set pieces were added to the attraction during a lengthy refurbishment in 2006 when some of the film characters were added to the story
Pirates of the Caribbean is is a classic attraction beloved by guests everywhere. If you’d like to plan your next trip to experience this attraction, contact me today! My name is Sara Solberg and I am a travel agent with Amazing Magical Adventures, a Disney Earmarked Agency. I will help you plan a magical trip at no extra cost to you!
- What Businesses will Reopen in Downtown Disney? - July 8, 2020
- Transportation Options Available When Disney World Reopens - July 7, 2020
- 6 Magical Disney Souvenirs You Can Get Without Visiting the Parks - July 6, 2020