Guide to the Lunar New Year Celebration at Disneyland Resort
Disney California Adventure welcomes the return of the Lunar New Year Celebration at Disneyland, from Jan. 20 through Feb. 15, 2023. This multicultural celebration is a joyous tribute to Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean cultures, featuring Asian-inspired food and beverages, beautiful décor, live entertainment and themed merchandise. Highlights include two new Lunar New Year marketplaces and new menu items, return of the “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” nighttime water show and an extended route for “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession.”
Traditions for celebrating the new year may seem related, but there are significant differences that are honored within diverse Asian cultures. This year’s festivities ring in the Year of the Rabbit in the Chinese zodiac calendar and the Year of the Cat in the Vietnamese zodiac
calendar. For this occasion, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and his sweetheart Ortensia the cat join the Lunar New Year fun with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, dressed in special outfits paying tribute to these cultural celebrations.
Highlights of Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure Park
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” will extend throughout all of Disney California Adventure, traveling along the parade route from Paradise Gardens through Hollywood Land. Hosted by Mulan and Mushu from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Mulan” alongside Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and dozens of spirited performers, this vibrant procession honors family, friendship and the potential for a fortune-filled year.
- “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” returns this year, presented on Paradise Bay shortly before “World of Color” and, from Jan. 27 through Feb. 15, “World of Color – ONE.” Set to a stirring musical score by Academy Award-winning composer Tan Dun, this heartwarming nighttime water show tells the tale of a little lantern’s quest to reunite with family for the annual celebration of good luck and fortune.
- Six Lunar New Year marketplaces at Disney California Adventure Park offer a tantalizing array of Asian-inspired dishes, including two new locations: Bamboo Blessings and Wrapped with Love. Paradise Garden Grill, Lucky Fortune Cookery, Lamplight Lounge and other select locations also offer seasonal menu items. New and returning favorites in this expanded culinary landscape include the mandarin mousse cake, quesabirria eggroll with guajillo pepper consomé and the Mickey Mouse-shaped hot dog bun.
Shareable between friends and family, guests may choose to purchase a Sip and Savor Pass for six coupons redeemable for select food and nonalcoholic beverages from participating marketplaces and dining locations:
• Bamboo Blessings
• Wrapped with Love
• Longevity Noodle Co.
• Lucky 8 Lantern
• Prosperity Bao & Buns
• Red Dragon Spice Traders
• Festival Food and Beverage Cart
• Paradise Garden Grill
• Lucky Fortune Cookery
• Sonoma Terrace
• Cappuccino Cart
- Paradise Gardens and, new this year, Sonoma Terrace present exciting live entertainment. Featured this year are Chinese music ensemble Melody of China, Korean-American a cappella group Vocal Seoul, and a variety of community performing groups.
- Guests can welcome the new year at the Paradise Gardens Gazebo with greetings and photos with Disney characters, including Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Ortensia, Mulan, Mushu, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.
- At the Lucky Wishes Wall, guests of all ages can stroll beneath strings of ornamental lanterns and share their messages of hope, health and happiness for this year.
• Families can enjoy complimentary arts and crafts and Chinese calligraphy demonstrations by local artisans. Art walls educate guests about the festival with information such as “What Year Are You?” and the unique story of Lunar New Year in each culture.
- Colorful Lunar New Year décor symbolizes good luck, fortune and happiness in bold red and brilliant gold. The pavilion bedecked with bamboo, peach blossoms, golden flowers and banners creates a memorable photo opportunity.
- Downtown Disney District offers more foodie fun with the Mad Dumplings food truck and fusion menu items at Naples Ristorante E Bar, Tortilla Jo’s, Catal Restaurant, Uva Bar & Cafe, Sprinkles and Black Tap Craft Burgers & Shakes. Plus, Lovepop will feature select Lunar New Year merchandise.
- The Hotels of the Disneyland Resort celebrate with specialty themed food at Goofy’s Kitchen and Storytellers Cafe, Rabbit Firecracker and Cat’s Delight cocktails at Hearthstone Lounge and themed treats at the GCH holiday cart. Overnight hotel guests can book a Tai Chi fitness class by Tenaya Stone Spa at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa for an additional fee.
Even more to celebrate at the Disneyland Resort
Beginning Jan. 20, the heroic Raya from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ film “Raya and the Last Dragon” returns to greet guests under the forest canopy in Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at Disney California Adventure Park.
Shortly after the start of Lunar New Year, the Disney100 anniversary celebration at the Disneyland Resort begins on Jan. 27, 2023, bringing new experiences, special offerings and platinum-infused decor across the resort throughout the year. In celebration of The Walt Disney
Company’s 100th anniversary, Disneyland Resort will debut two all-new nighttime spectaculars from Disney Live Entertainment – “World of Color – ONE” at Disney California Adventure Park and “Wondrous Journeys” at Disneyland Park – and open the all-new attraction Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway on Jan. 27, 2023.
Will you be visiting during the Lunar New Year celebration at Disneyland?
If you’d like to visit Disneyland, contact me today! I am the preferred travel partner with Disney Addicts and my services are free. I would love to help you plan a magical vacation!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.