I just booked my first Disney cruise, yay! Any tips to ensure we have a magical time?
First, congratulations! You picked an amazing time to sail with the Disney Cruise Line as the magic keeps growing and growing. Here are some tips to make sure you and your family make the most of your first sailing on this award-winning cruise line.
- Visit the Planning Center on the Disney Cruise Line website and schedule a call from a character to announce the exciting news to your family! You are able to select the character, date and time. This is a memory you do not want to miss, so have the camera handy!
- Before you leave home, download the Navigator app. This information guide is so useful once onboard and you won’t miss out on any of the fun.
- Be sure to pack for many different activities, such as time at the pool, fancy dinners, and Pirate Night. Also, don’t forget to pack a light sweater or top layer. Things tend to cool down in the evening, especially in the dining rooms and at the shows.
- Do NOT be afraid to let your Disney Side shine!!! Fully immerse yourself into the themed activities, such as Pirate Night, and decorate your stateroom door with magnets to let other Guests know your family loves Disney as much as they do! Don’t worry though…if the excitement of getting to the port causes you to forget a few of these things at home, they can be purchased once onboard!!
- If you plan to meet the characters, I’d recommend setting up the times on the first day. You can see who is available (on the Navigator app!) and reserve your time with Guest Services. And don’t forget your cameras and autograph books…character experiences at sea are just as magical as on land.
- Take in all that Pirate Night has to offer. Yes, we all know there is a huge, not-to-miss deck party, but, did you know there are also family games, special menu items, amazing fireworks and a delicious late-night buffet? Enhance your overall experience by taking part in as many of these special activities as possible!
- To get the best seats at the shows, arrive early. Saving seats is frowned upon, and while there is usually space for everyone, take the extra downtime for some family time and to talk about your experiences thus far on the ship. It’s a great way to regroup and enjoy the show together.
- The Disney Cruise Line includes so much in your fare…so be sure to take advantage of everything!! If you see more than one appetizer you like at dinner, order two. Hungry after all that Pirate partying? Order a late night snack from the included 24-hour room service. Want to catch a new-release film? Go for it! It’s all included with your fare so definitely make the most of it!
- One of the biggest things people forget to do is take some time to relax themselves. While a family vacation is intended to keep everyone together, there is nothing wrong with the kids enjoying some time in the Oceaneer Club while mom and dad hit the spa or relax on the sundeck together. When you regroup, you will have more to talk about!
- Most importantly, and unlike a Disney vacation on land, you don’t need to plan out every little detail. While I always recommend booking Port Adventures, Spa appointments and adult-exclusive dinners at Remy and Palo in advance, go with the flow on your trip. You never know when one of your favorite Disney characters will join in your fun and the crew onboard the Disney Cruise Line is always looking for ways to enhance the magic!!
For everyone who has sailed before, what would you add to the list?
Latest posts by Disney Addicts Past Writers and Friends (see all)
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019