Coming later this summer, Walt Disney World Resort guests will be able to interact with Disney stories in all new ways through the magic of technology, with the launch of Disney’s newest wearable, MagicBand+. Both products will enhance guest visits to Walt Disney World Resort throughout the vacation destination’s 50th anniversary celebration and beyond.
These innovations continue to build upon Disney’s next-generation storytelling – integrating the physical, digital and virtual worlds to help guests experience the magic of Disney.
In 2013, Walt Disney World Resort introduced the MagicBand, a revolutionary way to make the guest experience in its theme parks and resorts more convenient, including park and guest room entry, retail and dining, Disney PhotoPass service and more. The next-generation MagicBand+ will retain those popular features and add new functionality to unlock experiential moments of magic throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks and resorts.
After a guest enters a theme park, MagicBand+ will come alive at various times with color-changing lights, haptic vibrations and gesture recognition, enhancing the environment’s storytelling. The wearable will allow guests to engage with favorite Disney moments in new ways and discover new interactive experiences, including:
- 1.) Guests can embark on the “Disney Fab 50 Quest,” a scavenger hunt throughout the four Walt Disney World theme parks using MagicBand+ to help spread pixie dust and interact with the golden character sculptures. With the Play Disney Parks app, guests can dive deeper into the experience to find hints and keep track of sculptures which will unlock digital achievements, including an augmented reality feature.
- 2.) In the “Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters” experience, guests can join the Batuu Bounty Hunters’ Guild in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Using their MagicBand+ to find numerous virtual bounties hidden throughout Black Spire Outpost, guests will follow the band’s light patterns and haptics to complete their mission. Then they will return to the local guild master, who will reward them with galactic credits. Guests can also use the Play Disney Parks mobile app to help them reveal their virtual bounty using the app’s built-in augmented reality thermal viewer.
- 3.) Guests can experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as they see their bands light up and complement the magic in the skies, including the new “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park.
These experiences will be available with MagicBand+ and will launch when MagicBand+ goes on sale this summer. Disney Resort hotel guests and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will have the option to purchase at a discounted, pre-arrival price. Guests may continue to use their existing MagicBand and Disney MagicMobile, available on eligible devices, to enjoy other features, such as park entry. The original MagicBand product will continue to be available for purchase as well.
MagicBand+ will be available at Disneyland Resort later this year. Some of the features will vary between Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. More details will be shared soon.
Come back here on Chip & Co. for the latest theme park and entertainment news updates!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- 5 Great Reasons to Visit Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party! - August 7, 2022
- We rank Epcot’s Club Cool Flavors - August 6, 2022
- Celebrating the Anniversary Week of Disney’s Alice in Wonderland - July 31, 2022