Walt Disney has famously been quoted as saying – “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing – that it all started with a mouse”. Mickey Mouse, a little mouse that has grown from a simple animation to a nostalgic, and beloved legend. The image of Mickey has even caused a change in copyright law – which is due to expire in 2024 (unless Disney does something about that)! Because of his ever-constant popularity, the list of Mickey-included media is simply endless. Cameos, television shows, theme park attractions – Mickey Mouse is a machine of the entertainment industry. The question of what to watch from Mickey’s large collection of work is tough. Many fans may be completionists, whilst others may just want the main cultural highlights.
We’ve tried to do that for you and have chosen 10 of the most popular Mickey Mouse Films & Shorts for you to choose from! Warning: Some of our suggestions are dated and may have problematic content.
- Plane Crazy – May 15th, 1928
- The first appearance of Mickey Mouse. This was the first creation of Mickey Mouse, though it was only released in limited spaces and was a silent film. This film was chosen because – well, though it is not the first cartoon widely released, it was Mickey Mouse’s debut!
- Steamboat Willie – November 18th, 1928
- The first Mickey Mouse short. Synched with sound and widely released, this is the officially recognized work of Mickey and thus, November 18th became Mickey Mouses’ birthday! It also is significant because it is also the first appearance of Mickeys’ forever sidekick, Minnie Mouse. We cannot forget that Mickeys’ rival Pete makes his first appearance as well!
- The Chain Gang – August 18th, 1930
- It takes around 2 years for Mickeys’ best friend, Pluto to make an appearance! Though he won’t be Mouses’ best friend immediately, this is the first short where Pluto is mentioned. If you are looking for the first Pluto and Mickey short, check out “Moose Hunt” from 1931.
- Mickey’s Service Station – March 16, 1935
- Now, I could have put Goofys first appearance (Mickey’s Revue, May 25th, 1932) and Donald’s first appearance (Orphans’ Benefit – August 11th, 1934) in a Mickey Mouse short, but it felt only right to list the first film that Mickey, Goofy, and Donald are in a short TOGETHER for the first time. These best buds have been together since 1935!? Talk about a test of friendship!
- Fantasia / The Sorcerers Apprentice – November 13th, 1940
- Iconic and mesmorizing, The Sorcerers Apprentice is something magical that is nestled within Fantasia. Mickey and his curiosity gets the best of him. To many, its Mickey in his purest form. Innocently trying to get out of the mess hes created in order to help!
- Fun and Fancy Free / Mickey and the Beanstalk – September 27, 1947
- A classic film with a classic Mickey segment. As ususal, Mickey gets into trouble that goes way out of control – but this time, his trouble includes a large beanstalk and of course, a giant!
- Mickey’s Delayed Date – October 3rd, 1947
- Why this short in particular? Well, simply because it would be the last time Walt Disney himself would be voicing his beloved creation in a short.
- Mickey’s Christmas Carol – December 16th, 1983
- It seems that Disney has never gone wrong with this Charles Dicken’s classic, A Christmas Carol. Mickey Mouse takes his spot-on role as Bob Cratchit, simply trying to make it through the holidays. The film became a huge success and is one that is still watched around the holidays to this day!
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit – June 22nd, 1988
- Mickey Mouse is only featured in this film for a very short time – but this film is too entirely important to forget about. Dueling animation studios set aside their differences and placed Mickey Mouse alongside Bugs Bunny. The two share equal screen time!
- Mickey Mouse (TV Series) – June 28th, 2013 – July 20th, 2019
- Yes, this is a TV series but it is so much more than that. The show manages to be something that both children and adults can enjoy on its own. It manages to create everything people loved about the classic shorts but brings in a modern day style of animation and humor. If you haven’t had a chance to check out this adorable series and all the shorts included, take some time out and check out everything that this Mickey has to offer! You may see some of your favorite classic characters as well!
If we’ve missed your favorite Mickey flick, please let us know in the comments below!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- 10 Christmas Disney Films and Shorts to Watch this Holiday Season - December 2, 2022
- Star Wars Films (and Shows) in Chronological Order - November 29, 2022
- Celebrating the Timeless Classic: The Land Before Time - November 25, 2022