We are over a month into the Summer season at Disneyland and with the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! in May, what a Summer its been so far. But this is just one of the many exciting happenings at Disneyland Resort this Summer. To give you a sample of the many fantastic reasons why Disneyland is the place to be in Summer 2017 here’s 10 offerings we think you’ll be excited about.
1.Guardians of the Galaxy- Mission: BREAKOUT! – This is a ride that is definitely living up to the hype. Housed in the former location of the Hollywood Tower of Terror, BREAKOUT! sees you joining forces with Rocket to raid the Collector’s Tower in search of the Guardians of the Galaxy which are being held their as Taneleer Tivan’s latest acquisitions. What ensues is an action packed ride that sees you tearing through the tower in search of your friends while listening to a killer soundtrack. You can expect the same ups and downs and drops as the original tower but with some out-of-this-world special effects thrown in.
2. Main Street Electrical Parade – For those looking for a big dose of Disney nostalgia, it was announced earlier this year that Disneyland will be extending it’s run of the nightly Main Street Electrical Parade through August 2oth. This iconic parade, which first graced Disneyland in 1972 is an absolute feast for the eyes as it lights up the night sky with its beautiful illuminations. Guests will also get a chance to see many of your favorite Disney friends nightly including Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Pete’s Drag, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The parade runs twice nightly at 8:45 and 10:45pm.
3. Remember…Dreams Come True Nighttime Spectacular – Speaking of nostalgic Disneyland, this Summer also marks the return of this amazing nightly fireworks display. “Remember…Dreams Come True” was originally presented as one of the highlights of the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland Resort back in 2005. The nightly display features brilliant pyrotechnics, soaring music, wonderful special effects and even Tinker Bell’s flight. Be prepared to be dazzled by the flame effects that erupt during the Indiana Jones Adventure section or join up with the 999 Happy Haunts during a fantastic rendition of “Grim Grinning Ghosts.” Performances will take place nightly at 9:30pm.
4. D23 Expo – The Disney event of the year will be taking place at Anaheim Convention Center from July 14 – 16. Though not officially taking place at Disneyland, it is the must-do event of the year for die-hard Disney fans and industry professions looking to stay abreast of all things Disney. Most visitors to D23 will combine their visit with a Disneyland vacation making it the ultimate Disney lover’s getaway. Highlights of the even include: a Disney Legends Award Ceremony hosted by Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger, a sneak peak at the latest Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel projects, a preview of new offerings at Walt Disney parks and a concert showcasing Disney Legend Alan Menken. Tickets for D23 Expo 2017 are available for $81 for a one-day adult admission and $59 for children (ages 3-9). Members of D23, Disney’s official fanclub can get tickets for $72 per adult and $53 per child. Multi-day tickets are also available. For more info and tickets visit D23expo.com.
5. Special Summer of Heroes Food Offerings – With the excitement around the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Disneyland has officially dubbed it the Summer of Heroes. One of the ways this celebration can be felt throughout both parks is with the amazing culinary treats Disney is unveiling. With items like the delicious (and very green) space outpost tacos (pictured), cosmic cocktails like the Hot Flare Margarita (jalapeno) and Solar Flare Margarita (watermelon), shaved ice with names like Spinal Fluid and Spider Venom and even a blue and orange smoothie called the Milano, eating your way across Disneyland Resort has never been more fun. Collectors will also be able to get their hands on items such as the Groot Souvenir Sipper and Guardians themed popcorn bucket. For a complete list of menu items check out this article.
6. Fantasmic! – This much-loved nighttime production combines fireworks, special effects, water projections and a live stage show to skillfully bring many of Disney’s much-loved films to life. Its a must-do for many Disneyland regulars. However, due to construction, Fantasmic! went dark back in January 10, 2016. But its good news for visitors this Summer as Disneyland has announced that Fantasmic! will be returning at some point over the next few months bigger and better than ever. Disney has said that the updated version of Fantasmic! will feature new scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin, The Lion King and Tangled. No word yet on an official opening date but readers are encouraged to watch this space for the latest updates.
7. Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off – I can’t think of better dance partners than the Guardians of the Galaxy. This Summer visitors to Disneyland Resort are in for a special treat. Several times throughout the day, Star-Lord, Gamora and even life-sized Groot will be joining guests to show off their killer dance moves to some fantastic tunes. The Dance-Off will take place daily at 9:45, 11:00 12:15, 1:40, 2:50 and 4:00 at Hollywood Land in Disney California Adventure Park.
8. Heroic Encounter: Spider-Man and Captain America – Marvel fans heading to Disneyland this Summer won’t want to miss out on cozying up with these two superheros. Both Spider-Man and Captain American will be on hand to pose for pictures at Hollywood Land in Disney’s California Adventure park daily from 1:30 – 8:00pm.
9. Avengers Training Initiative – Think Jedi Training Academy meets Marvel Superheros. Avengers Training Initiatives provides children between the ages of 6 – 12 with the opportunity to learn some impressive superhero skills from the likes of Black Window and Hawkeye. Sign-ups, like with Jedi Training, occur on a first-come-first served basis with showtimes running at 1:05, 2:15, 3:25, 4:45, 5:55 and 7:05 at Hollywood Land in Disney California Adventure Park. Sign-ups take place at the kiosk in the Hollywood Backlot near Stage 17 and Sunset Showcase Theater.
10. Disneyland Railroad – After over a year of being closed due to construction, The Disneyland Railroad will be re-opening at some point this Summer to to whisk guests around Disneyland. The railroad was closed last year as part of the Rivers of America refurbishment which means some nice added features to this classic Disneyland attraction. These include an elevate trestle for the Disneyland Railroad to travel across as well as picturesque waterfront views on a new north bank. Disney has also added a Columbia Gorge section to Rivers of America which includes thundering waterfalls that guests will be able to see from the railroad. An official opening date has not been announced. Guests are encouraged to watch this space for further details.
With all of these amazing happenings, I think its safe to say that Disneyland is definitely the place to be this Summer.
Thinking about a visit to Disneyland? There are still amazing Summer and Fall packages to be had. Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019