For the past couple of years, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has been undergoing an elaborate transformation. Though it may not seem that way as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard, there are a handful of wonderful treats in store for Disneyland visitors in the years to come. To get you as exited as we are about the evolution of this much-loved theme park, here’s our list of five changes coming to Hollywood Studios.
1. Toy Story Land – Slated to open in 2018, visitors to Toy Story Land will get the feeling that they’ve been shrunken down to the size of the toys in Andy’s Room. Not only that but the land will be home to not one, but two new fun-filled attractions. The first, the Slinky Dog Dash is a brand new family coaster. Guests will be able to dash around many turns and drops created especially by Andy. Everyone’s favorite little green aliens will also be getting their own attraction. Alien Swirling Saucers. In keeping with the themes of the Toy Story movie franchise, the backstory is that Andy got a toy play set from Pizza Planet which features the Aliens zooming around in their flying saucers trying to capture your ride vehicles with “The Claw”. The new land is slated to open next Summer.
2. Mickey an Minnie’s Runaway Railway – For those that haven’t heard, The Great Movie ride located in Hollywood Studios’ iconic Chinese Theaters will be closing after August 13th to make way for a brand new attraction that we here at Disney Addicts are pretty excited about. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will give guests an opportunity to step through the movie screen and join Mickey and friends on an adventure inspired by the popular Mickey Mouse Cartoon shorts. According to information released during D23, the ride will feature state-of-the-art special effects and even a few Hidden Mickeys. There’s been no word yet on an official opening date.
3. Grand Avenue – Besides all of the amazing attractions, one of the things that we love the most about visiting Hollywood Studios is that feeling you get that you’re walking down the streets of Hollywood. That’s why we were so excited to hear that Disney is re-imagining a stretch of the park that goes from Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant to MuppetVision 3D and renaming it Grand Avenue. The new area will feature vintage office buildings and warehouses made to make guests feel like you are wondering through the different vibrant districts of the city. Grand Avenue should be unveiled at some point later this fall.
4. BaseLine Tap House – This Fall, Hollywood Studios will also be getting a new eatery. The BaseLine Tap House will feature an amazing array of beverages including California craft ales, lagers, cider, wines on tap and specialty cocktails. Guests will also be able to feast on a menu feature tasty small bites like: Bavarian pretzels with mustard, a charcuterie board featuring California cheeses, beer and cheese fondue and spiced almonds. The Tap House is also brimming with backstory and will be housed in quaint brick building that used to be home to the Figueroa Printing Company. This lends to the feel of dining in a building that is a part of the revitalization of Downtown Los Angeles. When it opens this fall, the new dining location will be open daily from 11am.
5. Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge – This new 14 acre playground for Star Wars fans won’t be open to guests until 2019 but there are so many things coming with this out-of-this-world expansion that we can’t help but talk about it. Guests will be fully immersed in the legends and lore of the Star Wars franchise in this new area of the park that will offer unique dining experiences with imaginative menu items like blue milk. Guests will be able to shop for a range of Star Wars themed goodies and there will be two incredible attractions designed to make guests feel like they’re in the heart of the action. The first experience puts guests in the middle of a battle between the force and the resistance and will make you feel as though you are on a Star Destroyer hangar bay. The second attraction will put visitors behind the wheel of the Millennium Falcon. Disney has also released details of a fully immersive Star-Wars themed hotel that will make visitors feel like they are really and truly living among some of their favorite Star Wars friends! For further details on the Star Wars expansion check out this article.
We hope you are as excited as we are to see all of the amazing changes taking place over at Hollywood Studios in the months and years ahead. As always please keep following along with Chip and Co and Disney Addicts for the latest Disney news and updates.
Are you thinking about a visit to Disney World? Fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you get the best discounts for your Disney vacation package, assist with making dining and Fastpass reservations and can even help you plan an itinerary filled with extra magical touches. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Contact me at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or on Facebook and let’s get planning!
Images copyright Disney.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019