When Walt Disney was born on December 5th, 1901 – there was no way of knowing the impact that he would make on the world. What would soon follow was something simply unprecedented. Animated shorts, movies, television shows, theme parks, cruise lines – and of course, the Mouse that started it all. Though he has been passed for some time now, people still talk about Walt Disney with nostalgia and warmth.
There are so many movies and documentaries to choose from that making this list was hard. We’ve chosen films that you can easily find on Disney+ and that showcase the love and dedication that Walt had for his craft. Iconic films that if you haven’t had the chance to enjoy with your family – today may be a great day to do so. We’ve chosen two of his iconic shorts and three full-length films that we are sure will bring you back to a more nostalgic and sentimental time and place. We hope you enjoy and… HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WALT!
- Trolley Troubles – 1927
- The tale of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was one that even the Disney Company – even after Walt Disney’s passing – couldn’t let go of. When the rights to Oswald were given/returned to Disney during a negotiation, they ensured their fans would be able to see some of Walt’s original work. Trolley Troubles, the first Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is available on Disney+ – available for you and yours to enjoy!
- Steamboat Willie -1928
- The grand introduction to the Mouse that started a legacy for Walt. Steamboat Willie is a beloved short that launched Walt, and Mickey of course, on a path they could never turn back from. To celebrate Mickey is to celebrate Walt – and Watching Steamboat Willie on Walt Disney’s birthday is a grand way to celebrate indeed.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – 1937
- Walt’s first full-length animated film. This film would show that animated films were not just limited to shorts and could transport us into worlds of fantasy, adventure, and of course – imagination. The success and love of Snow White would open doors for Walt. Giving him the funding to do more and make more – and boy, did he make more.
- Fantastia – 1940
- Fantasia blended the classic with the then-modern by bringing full-length animation to life by marrying it with classical music. An added bonus is that 12 years after Steamboat Willie’s debut, Mickey Mouse would return to the big screen and be featured in this new innovative, and memorable film. Fantasia is a film that we may never see a like of again and it should be appreciated for the emotion it continues to stir today.
- Mary Poppins – 1964
- A film so iconic that it won 13 Academy Awards. Blending Animation and live action, this film would go on to be one of Walts’ crowning achievements in cinema. It is STILL beloved to this day and resonates with fans on many different levels. Heck, the music is not half bad either. This timeless film will be popular for many years to come.
Images: Disney, D23, Walt Disney Studios
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- Celebrate this Lunar New Year with 10 Films Featuring Iconic Disney Dragons! - February 2, 2024
- Check out these 3 Locations to Grab Hot Chocolate in Disney Springs! - January 30, 2024
- Why We Love: PizzeRizzo in Hollywood Studios - January 26, 2024