Today is the 22nd anniversary of Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin in Magic Kingdom. Guests board an XP-37 star cruiser and voyage deep into the Gamma Quadrant, where they take aim at the glowing “Z” targets with infrared laser cannons. This attraction in Tomorrowland has remained extremely popular over the years and it so much fun for the entire family. Here are some fun facts about this ride:
Replaced 2 Attractions
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin replaced two different attractions that used to occupy the space. The first was called If You Could Fly (previously known as If You Had Wings). This attraction was then permanently closed and a new attraction put in called Delta Dreamflight, sponsored by Delta. When Delta decided to quit sponsoring the attraction, the name was changed to Dreamflight. Dreamflight was then closed to create the beloved attraction that we enjoy today.
The first version of the attraction opened in Magic Kingdom in 1998. It was the only version for many years, and then it opened in Tokyo, California, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Buzz is an international celebrity, and the ride has maintained its popularity over the years.
The ride vehicles move continuously just like the ones on the Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc. What is unique about these vehicles is that you can also make the car spin or face the direction that you want using a joystick controller from inside the vehicle. There are also 2 laser guns in each vehicle to use to stop Emperor Zurg.
Ways to Improve your Score
There are various tips to help get the highest score possible so that one day you can hopefully achieve the title of Galactic Hero. Here are a few of them:
- There are 4 different shaped targets that are worth different amounts of points: round (100 points), square (1,000 points), diamond (5,000 points), and triangle (10,000 points).
- When you get in the 1st room, look for the orange robot. If you shoot his left hand, you’ll snag 100,000 points. Then shoot the claw for another 100,000 points.
- When you get in the 2nd room, the top of the volcano is worth 50,000 points. Make sure you shoot at the spinning target as it is worth 25,000 points.
- When you get in the 3rd room, look for the target on Emperor Zurg’s ship. It is worth big-time points. Also, aim for the batteries at the bottom of the ship as they can get you 50,000 points.
Basic Ride Facts
- The ride first opened in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom in 1998.
- The entire ride length is about 4.5 minutes.
- There is no minimum height requirement for the attraction, so it is friendly for all.
- If you are in a scooter, you will have to transfer to enjoy the attraction. If you are in a wheelchair, there are wheelchair compatible ride vehicles, and you will not need to transfer.
- Say cheese! This attraction has an on-ride photo.
Where does Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin rank on your list of favorite rides? If you’re wanting to visit Disney World and defeat Emperor Zurg, contact me today! I am a travel agent with Amazing Magical Adventures and I can help you plan a memorable vacation at no extra cost to you.