One of the most exciting developments to come out of this year’s D23 Expo was the news that Disney would be introducing a new gondola system that will transport guests between a few of Disney’s theme parks and resorts. Though Disney has been keeping quiet about an official opening date for the cable cars, they have released several new details this week regarding the project which we are excited to pass on. To give you taste of what’s in store for onsite resort guests in the years ahead, here are 5 Facts about Disney World’s new transportation links.
1. The new system is being dubbed Skyliner – We have the monorail, the friendship boats and soon the Skyliner. This is the name that Disney is giving to the new transportation system which will provide guests with a unique bird’s eye view of Walt Disney World’s resorts and theme parks.
2. Stops Will Be Made at Epcot’s International Gateway – Epcot currently has two entrances, the main gateway near Spaceship Earth and Future World and an entry in the World Showcase which connects guests to the Epcot Resorts. As part of the new Skyliner system, a station will be erected at the International Gateway offering guests a sweeping views of Epcot and some of the World Showcase pavilions. The design (as shown above) will be keeping with the aesthetic of the pavilions that make up the World Showcase and will feature metal and glass canopies, painted murals and will be done in an 18th Century Art Noveau style.
3. Hollywood Studios Will Also Be on the Route – In addition to being able to visit Epcot on the Skyliner, the new gondola system will also take visitors to Hollywood Studios. According to Disney Parks blog, passengers travelling to Hollywood Studios will be treated to an amazing aerial perspective of some of the parks most iconic attractions including The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
4. The Skyliner Will Offer Connections to Three Walt Disney World Resorts – The Skyliner system will be used to take guests from three of Disney’s onsite resort properties to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The resorts included on the route are Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach Resort. Caribbean Beach will serve as a transfer hub for guests. The concept for the Caribbean Beach Station will be designed to blend in with the surroundings and is inspired by the open air village marketplaces of the Caribbean. Guests can also stop and enjoy the new waterfront dining options at this resort.
5. The Skyliner System Will Be Big on Disney Character – The gondolas in the Disney Skyliner system will be decked out with much loved Disney friends. The characters will be incorporated into the exterior design of the cars to give the appearance that a Disney friend is riding right along with guests. Characters will include Mickey and Pals as well as figures from much-loved Disney films and attractions.
We hope that you are as excited as we are about this exciting new way to get to and from the resorts and theme parks. Readers are encouraged to keep following along with Disney Addicts and Chip and Co. for the latest in Walt Disney World and Skyliner news and updates.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019