Disney+ has not only allowed for its viewers to enjoy new originals and animated classics – but nostalgic favorites as well. Though some of these films need to have quiet warnings on them (let’s be honest, some have not aged well), others seem to have gotten better with age. If you’re looking for some quality Disney films to dive into, check out these 7 and go back to a more… simple time!
(Warning: Some of these films may contain outdated cultural depictions)
- Treasure Island (1950)
- Interested in seeing what Disney’s first live-action film looked like? Treasure Island still holds up to this day! Adventure, swashbuckling pirates, a massive inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride? What’s not to like!
- The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (1952)
- If you are unfamiliar with the story of Robin Hood and have somehow avoided seeing the animated version, this 1952 version is not much different. If it works, why fix it! This Disney classic is the tale of Robin Hood righting the wrongs happening in his village. Fans of the animated story – make sure you don’t miss this.
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
- This film is still filled with the same adventure, thrill, and excitement that it had when it was released in 1954. A genius looking to create a whole new world and a crew that will follow him until the end. This film inspired rides throughout the Disney parks because what feels more out of this world – than discovering what goes on under it.
- Old Yeller (1957)
- Yes, this is a sad film, but most importantly, this is a film about a boy and his dog. A boy turns into a man in front of our very eyes during this film and you can see true love grow until the very end.
- Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
- A family gets trapped on a tropical island. With some ingenuity, teamwork, and persistence, this group bands together and makes survival look easy!
- The Parent Trap (1961)
- Whether you’re a fan of the original or the Lindsay Lohan remake, you’re sure to enjoy two twin girls realizing who they truly are. Tricks and hijinks ensue as these sisters try to fix the mess their parents got themselves into!
- The Incredible Journey (1963)
- Look familiar? This film inspired the remake of Homeward Bound! Though the animals in this film go through much more daring adventures, you’ll find yourself becoming attached to them all the same.
Any of these films are winners to this day. Feel free to laugh at some of the comically dated scenes, there are plenty to go around!
- 9 Nostalgic Shows Available on Disney+ That Every 90’s Kid Will Remember! - April 3, 2020
- 8 Essential Films (and Shorts) that ALL Disney History Buffs Must Watch! - March 24, 2020
- 7 Classic Disney Films to Dive Into on Disney+ - March 20, 2020