By making the decision to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort, you’ve unlocked a whole world of excitement not to mention incredible perks like Extra Magic Hours, free parking and free Disney transportation to and from the parks. However, for those plotting out your holidays during the year ahead, you may want to be mindful of updates and renovations taking place at some of Disney’s magnificent properties. Though Disney World makes every effort when embarking on renovations, to minimize the impact these upgrades will have on the guest experience, it’s always helpful to know what to expect when you check in. With that in mind here are a few upgrades, and renovations happening in 2018.
1. All Star Movies Resort – The Duck Pond Leisure Pool in the Mighty Ducks section of the resort will be closed until some time in the Spring of 2018. In addition, room renovations will start in Late February and run until the end of the year. Guests concerned about the impact of these renovations during your stay should note that (similar to the renovations currently underway at Pop Century) Disney usually works on room renovations one building at a time to minimize the impact on visitors.
2. Art of Animation Resort – There are some minor pool closures happening early in 2018 for routine maintenance with each of the pools being closed for a day or two while the others remain open. However, what might have more of an impact on guests hoping for some peace and quiet, is that Disney is currently constructing its new Skyliner Gondola system and Art of Animation is one of the ports of call. Construction is happening during the day only along the waterfront making noise more noticeable to those in the rear of the property. However, if you find yourself at the theme parks from sun-up to sun-down the impact should be minimal. For more information on Skyliner check out this article.
3. Caribbean Beach Resort – This moderate resort is going through a massive overhaul that includes big changes to central amenities, a new waterfront dining location as well the creation of a new station to support the Disney Skyliner system mentioned above. Though Disney makes every effort to make sure all their guests have a magical experience, this is one resort where you will feel the impact of the updates and renovations. The Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale, Cabana Pool Bar and Calypso trading post will be closed until Fall of 2018. Disney will have alternative dining options available to guests including food trucks and temporary dining halls. Construction itself will not start until 9am and will finish before dusk. For more information on the exciting changes coming to Caribbean Beach, check out this article.
4. Coronado Springs Resort – Coronado Springs is another Moderate Resort going through a massive refurbishment which will be noticeable to guests visiting the resort. The project which started in 2017, is expected to continue throughout 2018. Changes include the addition of a new 15-story tower that is currently being built which will add an additional 500 rooms to the property. This new building will feature suites and concierge-level services. In addition, work is being carried out to update and transform the lush landscape at Coronado including the addition of floating gardens and an island oasis that connects the resorts through a series of bridges.
In an official statement released by Disney, they announced that construction fencing will be seen at the resort with work happening behind the fencing. In addition, noise will be heard while the resort is undergoing refurbishment. Construction will take place during the day from 9am daily and will finish at dusk. During this time the resorts amenities including dining, shops, the La Vida Health Club, spa, salon, beach volleyball courts and more will remain open. For a look at some of the construction taking place check out this article on our sister site Chip and Co.
5. Port Orleans French Quarter – Room upgrades will be happening at this Moderate property starting in January 2018 and are expected to continue until late Spring. As with All Star Movies, Disney will typically work on one building at a time minimizing the impact that the refurbishments will have on guests staying there.
6. Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – It is business as usual at this stunning Deluxe property which is brimming with fantastic eateries, shops and amenities. However, there are some small upgrades happening that guests may want to be aware of. The Beach Pool and the Pool Bar and Grill are expected to be closed throughout the Spring of 2018. During this time the Courtyard Pool and Pool Bar will remain open as well as the play area at the Beach Pool and the beverage station.
7. Pop Century Resort – Staring last year, Pop Century started renovating its guest rooms. This is a project that is expected to continue through until the Summer of 2018. As of going to print, about half the rooms at Pop Century have been refurbished. The project is typically taking a building or two at a time to minimize the impact this will have on visitors. In addition, the Bowling Pin Pool in the 1950’s section of the resort will be closed from February – May 2018. For more information on the construction at Pop Century check out this article.
Smaller projects may be carried out at some of Walt Disney World’s other resort properties. However, for the purposes of this article, we are focusing on the projects that may impact guests staying on property.
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with Disney Addicts and our sister site Chip and Co. for the lastest news and updates regarding all of the exciting projects outlined above.
Thinking about a visit to Disney? Packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018. Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking your next Disney holiday with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you plot out your perfect holiday, work with you to come up with unique ways to make your vacation truly your own, and ensure that you are always getting the best deals and discounts. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019