What a big day for news it’s been at the D23 Expo in California including amazing updates, changes and additions to Walt Disney World. We are so excited to share with you just some of the new experiences visitors to Walt Disney World will be able to enjoy in the years ahead. Be prepared for your jaw to drop as we give you our Top 8 List of Exciting Additions or Changes coming to Walt Disney World!
1. A Fully Immersive Star Wars Resort is on its way! – How cool is this. The announcement was made at D23 this afternoon that a new Star War-themed hotel will be built at Walt Disney World Resort. But this just isn’t any ordinary hotel, rather it is intended to make guests feel like they are right in the heart of the Star Wars action. The minute guests enter they’ll become a citizen of the galaxy and will experience all that entails from dressing in the proper attire, mingling with characters, and following along on adventures. The experiences is intended to be 100% immersive and from check-in until check-out guests will feel like their on their own Star Wars adventure.
2. A Ratatouille ride is coming to Epcot! We are so excited to hear this rumor is actually coming to pass. Disney confirmed today that Ratatouille will be added in an all-new space in the France Pavilion at the World Showcase. Though not a lot of details were revealed regarding the ride itself, we expect it to be similar to Ratatouille: The Adventure which has won over guests at Disneyland Paris.
3. The Guardians of the Galaxy are Coming to Epcot! The Rumors are true. Epcot will be introducing a brand new E-ticket attraction based on Guardians of the Galaxy. The attraction will replace the current Universe of Energy which will close on August 13, 2017. Little has been disclosed about the ride itself but Disney is promising that it will offer a whole new way for guests to encounter the Guardians at Walt Disney World. We can’t wait to find out more about this exciting project!
4. Star Wars Land has a name and it’s Galaxy’s Edge – That’s right! In a big reveal Disney released a ton of amazing details regarding the new Star Wars land that will open in 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios including its name- Galaxy’s Edge. So what can guests expect to find in this new Star Wars themed area of the park? There will be two anchor attraction. The first will put guests in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance in an area that feels like the Hangar Bay on a Star Destroyer. In the second attraction, Guests will have the chance to get behind the wheel of the Millennium Falcon where each rider will have a role to play in the mission’s success. Character meet and greets will also be plentiful with BB-8, Chewbacca, Rex and Kylo Ren all expected to be on-hand to interact with guests.
5. A TRON-themed Coaster is coming to Magic Kingdom – The highest ranked attraction at Shanghai Disneyland will be making its way to Orlando. A Tron-themed attraction will be added in a new area near Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom. This means that the Tomorrowland Speedway will not be removed to make way for this ride. Again few details have been revealed regarding the coaster though its safe to say that it will be similar to TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Shanghai Disneyland which is a coaster-style attraction where riders board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles.
6. The Great Movie Ride is Being Replaced With Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway – There’s been a lot of speculation as of late regarding the closure of Hollywood Studio’s Great Movie Ride attraction and it has finally come to pass. The first-ever Mickey-themed ride-through attraction will takes its place taking guests on a journey inside the award winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts and will boast new technology used to transform flat cartoons into an incredible dimensional experience.
7. A Space-themed eatery is coming to Epcot – Located next to Mission: Space, Epcot will open its newest restaurant which is designed to make visitors feel like they are dining in space. With large windows offering panoramic views of space, guests will have the feeling that they are dining while in orbit and looking down at the planet Earth. The new restaurant will be operated by the Patina Restaurant Group, the same folks that own both Via Napoli in Epcot and Morimoto Asia at Disney Springs.
8. The Gandolas are Coming! New transportation links are coming to Walt Disney World in the form of Gondolas. Getting around Walt Disney World will be even easier with the Disney Skyliner! Not only will the new system provide guests with an amazing birds-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort but will make is much easier for guests at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach resort to get to Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot.
What an exciting time it is for Walt Disney World! We can’t wait to see all these plans come to fruition in the years ahead and we promise to keep you updated every step of the way!
Are you thinking about a trip to the Mouse? Then fill out or form below to receive your FREE quote.
Need help planning your next Disney getaway? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package, securing the best discounts (even after you’ve booked) and nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019