For Star Wars fans of all ages, the chance to explore Disney World’s latest expansion, a fully immersive Star Wars-themed land dubbed Galaxy’s Edge can’t come soon enough. Though no official opening date has been set, we can’t help but get exciting over the wonderful details that have been emerging about this new visitor experience. To give you just a taste of what’s in store for visitors to Galaxy’s Edge in the years ahead, here’s a rundown of what we know so far:
1. It’s slated to open in 2019 – Though Disney hasn’t given us an official opening date, it is expected to happen sometime in 2019. A similar expansion is underway at Disneyland theme park which is expected to debut first. Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World will open second.
2. You’ll have the chance to fly the Millenium Falcon – One of two new attractions opening as part of Galaxy’s Edge, visitors will be able to enter the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, pilot the ship, shoot blasters and prepare for hyperspace. This will all be a part of an interactive mission where how well you perform will have even bigger stakes. If guests perform with skill you may earn extragalactic credits. Similarly, doing damage to the ship could put you on the list of a bounty hunter which could create problems if visiting the local cantina.
3. The second attraction will put you on a Star Destroyer – In other intergalactic fun, the second attraction at Galaxy’s Edge will be built on a scale which according to Disney is unlike anything they’ve ever done before. Guests will feel like they’re inside a hanger bay in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
4. Galaxy’s Edge is Set on the Plant Batuu – The adventures experienced at the new Star Wars land take place on the plant Batuu which is a remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge, a one busy crossroads along the sub-lightspeed trade routes. However, its prominence was bypassed by the rise of hyperspace travel making it a home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream. This means it is a bustling port for smugglers, rogue traders and adventurers travelling between the Frontier and unchartered space. It also serves as a safe haven for those wanting to expand the reach of the First Order.
5. The Cantina will be serving up Blue Milk – Only one beverage item has been announced for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. That is the blue milk Luke Skywalker made famous in “Star Wars IV: A New Hope.”
6. You never know who you’ll bump in to – Guests can expect to see characters from A Galaxy Far, Far Away including BB-8, Chewbacca and members of the First Order.
7. Galaxy’s Edge will feature new marketplaces and toys galore- Drawing their inspiration from the ornate and exotic markets of Istanbul and Marrakech, Imagineers are working on an elaborate marketplace where guests can explore a rich collection of shop sand merchant stalls. For instance, one stall will be overseen by a Toydarian, creatures first encountered on Tatooine during “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” The merchandise will, of course, feature all kinds of fun and never-seen-before toys straight out of the Star Wars galaxy.
8. You can take a closer look at plans for Galaxy’s Edge during your next visit to Hollywood Studios – A model for a portion of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is currently on display at Walt Disney World. You can find it at the end of Walt Disney Presents.
9. You don’t have to wait to get your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Merchandise – Star Wars fans don’t need to wait until 2019 to get their hands on some exciting Galaxy’s Edge theme merchandise. You can find men’s and women’s T-shirts, hats and more featuring the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge logo at select locations throughout Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort.
We hope that you are as excited as we are about this out-of-this-world Walt Disney World expansion. Keep following along with Disney Addicts and our sister site Chip and Co. for the latest in Galaxy’s Edge news and updates.
Thinking about a visit to Disney? Packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018. Read below to find out how to get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from booking your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get Dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019