It’s that time of year again when all of our favorite grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize. Walt Disney World Resort’s Haunted Mansion attraction is undoubtedly a favorite around Halloween and has a huge fan following all year round. While we know there are 999 ghoulish residents of the Haunted Mansion, some of us have a favorite. In honor of the spooky season, let’s look into some of our favorite ghastly mansion dwellers.
- The Ghost Host- The Ghost Host is the character that narrates riders throughout the attraction. Some say that the Ghost Host is none other than Master Gracey, the mansion’s owner (according to the 2003 film.) The name Master Gracey was inspired by Disney Imagineer Yale Gracey, who came up with many of the illusions used on the attraction.
- The Bride- The bride, Constance Hatchaway, also known as “the black widow bride”, is an infamous ghoul known for killing multiple husbands with an ax. It has been said that the woman sitting on the gravestone in the stretching room is none other than an older Constance Hatchaway sitting on top of one of her deceased husband’s graves. If you look closely at the pavement of the Haunted Mansion line queue at Walt Disney World Resort, you may even spot her wedding ring stuck in the cement.
- Madame Leota- Madame Leota is by far one of the most popular Haunted Mansion characters, with a cult following all of her own. Leota’s tombstone can be found just before the mansion’s entrance at the end of the queue and chills unsuspecting guests with an animatronic surprise. Leota is seen again in her famous seance scene floating in a crystal ball. The name Madame Leota was inspired by Disney Imagineer Leota Toombs, who lends her voice to the character. Toombs daughter, Kim Irvine, also a Disney Imagineer, reprised her mother’s famous role and plays Leota during the Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland Resort. Leota Toombs voice is also the voice of “little Leota”, the small ghoulish figure telling guests to “hurry back” at the end of the attraction.
- The Hitchhiking Ghosts- The Hitchhiking ghosts are a phantom trio that appears just before the end of the attraction. The hitchhikers hitch a ride with guests and are said to follow them home. It has been said that the inspiration for these characters was from Urban Legends of phantom ghosts. The trio consists of Gus, Ezra, and Phineas. Gus is the prisoner, Ezra is the skeleton and Phineas is the traveler.
The Haunted Mansion has been and will remain one of the most popular attractions throughout Walt Disney World theme parks. Next time you visit, be sure to look out for these creepy characters.
- Should Disney Allow Mask-Free Photos at the Parks? - February 24, 2021
- Disney Needs to Build These Restaurants at the Theme Parks - February 22, 2021
- Visit These Places to Learn About the Incredible History of Walt Disney - February 17, 2021