The Disneyland Resort in California seems to be getting closer to opening back up as the worldwide pandemic slows. Guests will be back in the parks and living the magic soon enough. Although, we are all excited to get back to our normal Disney trips, summer is fast approaching. California is heating up and in the summer those temperatures can get up into the triple digits! With that being said, here are the best tips to beat the heat at the Disneyland Resort this summer.
Top 3 Attractions to Beat the Heat
- Splash Mountain- If you’re ready for a splash down, then look no further. This attraction will get you wet and send you off to have a “zip e dee doo dah” day!
- Pirates of the Caribbean- As soon as the queue leads you inside, you definitely feel the cool air. Also, with the dim lights and a little splash here and there, you’ll be cooled down in no time.
- it’s a small world- Here’s another great attraction that is indoors, away from the heat, and long enough to enjoy a cool down.
- Grizzly River Run- This is another great way to ensure a good splash! You can even cool down while not having to actually go on the attraction. There is a viewing area just outside the attraction, where guests can get wet as well.
- Soarin’ Over the World– Take off in flight all over the world with bursts of cool air, wonderful sights, and other sensory surprises.
- The Little Mermaid- Ariel’s Undersea Adventure– This attraction is perfect for the whole family to take a break from the heat and enjoy the story of The Little Mermaid.
Indoor Dining Areas That Are Sure to Beat the Heat
Most indoor locations are air-conditioned throughout the park. Here are some of our favorite dining areas that are located indoors.
- Plaza Inn– Enjoy the Plaza Inn’s famous Fried Chicken dinner inside this quick service dining restaurant.
- The Golden Horseshoe– There is plenty of seating and you just might catch a show while you dine on some classic American cuisine and deliciously cool desserts
- Blue Bayou– Set up a reservation to sit alongside the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction and enjoy some Cajun and Creole favorites.
California Adventure Park
- Smokejumpers Grill- This quick service dining spot has plenty of indoor seating and plenty of shaded outdoor seating. Adults can even cool down with a Frozen Coca Cola with Jack Daniel’s Whiskey. We highly recommend it!
- Flo’s V8 Cafe- Located in Cars Land, Flo’s is the perfect pitstop for you and your family to grab a bite for breakfast, lunch, or dinner
- Lamplight Lounge- Enjoy fun Pixar memorabilia and the beautiful sights of Pixar Pier as you enjoy deliciously crafted beverages and unique eats. This is a summer must visit destination!
How to stay Hydrated and Cool in Disneyland
Water Filling Stations
Bring in a reusable water bottle for each person in your family. I actually suggest a plastic one versus a hydro flask because they are lighter to carry, but a hydro flask will keep your water colder longer. There are water bottle filling stations now located in Galaxy’s Edge, and make sure you keep an eye out on the water reservoir!
Other ways to stay hydrated are to ask for a free water cup at any restaurant or quick service dining station, as well as there are numerous water fountains located throughout the park.
If you are planning on extending your stay at the Disneyland Resort, take an afternoon off from the parks and head back to your hotel to relax and/or swim. All of the hotels in the Disneyland Resort have fantastic pools with water slides for the little ones.
Another way to beat the heat is to indulge in a super cool treat! Here are a few of our favorites and where to find them!
- Ice Cream Sundaes– Visit Disneyland’s Gibson Girl on Main Street or Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream in Disney California Adventure Park
- Dole Whip- You can find this iconic treat along with other fresh and fruity favorites at the Tiki Juice Bar and the Tropical Hideaway. Tip: You can enjoy these tasty treats inside the Enchanted Tiki Room attraction as you take in the air conditioning.
- Adorable Snowman Frosted Treats- Located along Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure Park, enjoy some incredible lemon, vanilla, chocolate, or swirled soft serve!
My Top 5 Items to Pack for Disneyland to Beat the Heat
- Hat – Preferably one with a brim, something large enough to shade the face and neck
- Sunglasses – Make sure you have a pair for yourself and your little ones
- Sunscreen – Always a must have for that California sun and your skin will thank you!
- Fan- There are some fantastic and affordable fans on Amazon or grab one in the parks that come with a water bottle attached. They are sure to keep you cool.
- Cool towels- The towels you wet and then wring out. They will help you stay cool for quite a while.
There you have it, these are all my top tips for beating that hot California summer at the Disneyland Resort.What is your favorite way to cool down at the parks? Let us know in the comments!
Photos by our friend and Disneyland correspondent, Monique: @gimmemodisney
- The Most Instagram Worthy Walls at Walt Disney World - July 3, 2020
- 6 FastPass+ Dos and Don’ts for Walt Disney World - July 2, 2020
- Disney World Phone Numbers That You Need To Remember - June 26, 2020