On December 31st, 2009, Marvel Entertainment was acquired by the Walt Disney Company. Since then, Marvel has become such a cornerstone and feels almost synonymous with the Disney experience. 12 years, 27 films, 7 films announced, and 17 shows – it almost feels as though Marvel has become unstoppable. But what about all the work that has gone on behind the scenes?
If you’re intrigued at all the effort behind your favorite Marvel films, each one of the 6 documentaries below can be found on Disney+!
- Marvel 75 Years from Pulp to Pop! (2014)
- Some kids may not remember that Marvel is not a Disney invention. Marvel Comics began in 1939 as Timely Comics, evolving to Atlas Comics and then in 1961 – as Marvel. In 1961, the beloved Stan Lee revolutionized comics by making them for an adult audience. This documentary – made in 2014 – gives credit where credit is due. It deep dives into Marvel’s history and brings us to where things were then. A must-watch for Marvel fans.
- Marvel Studios Assembling a Universe (2014)
- Marvel Studios was acquired by Disney in 2009, but from 2008 to 2014 (when this documentary was released), Marvel Studios had received critical acclaim with hit after hit. It only made sense for Disney to create a documentary about this monumental time and the very beginning of what is now a Studio that has truly become one with Disney.
- Marvel Studios Expanding the Universe (2019)
- Just a small 12 minute short, Expanding the Universe covers the future of the studio and everything that is planned for its future!
- Marvel Hero Project (2019)
- This series is everything Disney and Marvel combined. Taken from the Disney+ site, there’s no better way to describe the show than this – “Marvel’s Hero Project is an unscripted series that shares the positive impact several young, real-life heroes are making in their own communities across the country.” In the end, isn’t that what makes a true hero?
- Marvel’s 616 (2020)
- Marvel has always evolved with the times. This documentary focuses on character origins and making sure the environment always matches the people you see every day. It also shines a light on the filmmakers behind the camera. Each filmmaker tells their own story within the superhero’s tale.
- Marvel’s Behind the Mask (2021)
- This special works to expand a bit more of what Marvel’s 616 was about. Marvel, in itself, works to find the superhero within us – and Behind the Mask makes sure that that description is expanded upon.
Now that you’ve added these 6 films to your “Must Watch” list, let us know which one is your favorite in the comments below!
Information/Pictures: Disney / Marvel Studios
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!