Are you the photographer in your family? Do you find that you have many great pictures while on vacation but you’re not in them? Luckily, when planning a trip to a Disney Destination, that is one less thing that you will have to worry about thanks to Disney PhotoPass and Memory Maker.
What is Disney PhotoPass?
Disney PhotoPass is a service that allows guests to get their pictures taken throughout their vacation, with everyone being in the pictures. Guests can then view photos online and opt to purchase various products including prints, digital files, photo books and more.
How Does It Work?
This service is available at Walt Disney World, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, Disneyland, and Aulani Resort & Spa. There are some differences depending on the destination so first, let’s focus on Walt Disney World Resort.
When you arrive at any of the four theme parks at Walt Disney World, you will find PhotoPass photographers in many different locations! They are easy to spot, wearing a brown vest and carrying a camera. Oftentimes, they will pose you in fun ways and take several different shots. Then, they will give you a PhotoPass card and those pictures can be viewed online or on the My Disney Experience.
When approaching the photographers, they may ask you if you have Memory Maker. Memory Maker is the option to pre-purchase all of the photos you have taken while on vacation at Walt Disney World. At the time of writing, the price is $169 if purchased in advance or $199 if purchased once you arrive. If you purchase in advance, be sure to do so at least 3 days beforehand so that all of your photos are included. It can be added to any package or purchased separately and then linked to the My Disney Experience app.
If you are staying at a Walt Disney World resort, your Memory Maker will be linked to your Magic Band. Instead of presenting your PhotoPass card when getting your picture taken, you will have your Magic Band scanned. Shortly afterward, you will be able to view your photos in the My Disney Experience app.
What is Included with Memory Maker?
Any time that I go to Walt Disney World, I purchase Memory Maker. I love having my whole family in the pictures and oftentimes, I end up with some amazing candid shots of my kids too. Plus, I can download, share and even print the pictures that I want since there is a limited copyright release included with the purchase. I always get several pictures taken in front of each park icon and throughout the parks, coming home with several hundred photos each trip! Many people do not realize everything that is included with the purchase of Memory Maker. In addition to locations throughout the parks (anywhere you find a PhotoPass photographer), here are some other ways to get the most out of Memory Makers:
- Ride/Attraction Photos and Videos: On many rides, there are cameras that will capture some of the best moments on the ride. If you have Memory Maker, these photos will automatically be added to your My Disney Experience account or you can scan your Magic Band when you exit the ride. Would you like the perfect example of why this is great? On my most recent trip, my four-year-old son rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for the first time. He was so excited and literally giggled the entire time! I am so happy that I have those photos that captured that special memory! In addition to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, some other attractions that have Disney PhotoPass photos include:
- Splash Mountain
- Space Mountain
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Frozen Ever After
- Test Track
- Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
- Rock’n’ Rollercoaster Starring Aerosmith
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Character Meet and Greets: You will find Disney PhotoPass photographers at nearly every character meet and greet throughout the parks. It’s a great way to get posed and candid photos of interactions with the characters.
- Character Dining: At a few character dining locations, you will find Disney PhotoPass photographers waiting to take your picture, oftentimes with one of the characters, as you are entering or exiting the restaurant. A few examples include:
- Cinderella’s Royal Table
- ‘Ohana (breakfast only)
- Chef Mickey’s
- 1900 Park Fare
- Be Our Guest (dinner only)
- Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review
- Storybook Dining at Artist Point (dinner only)
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop, and Pirates League: PhotoPass photographers are usually on hand to capture the magical moments at these locations. Looking to capture the big reveal after your little one is transformed into their favorite princess or pirate? It’s all included with Memory Maker! Just be sure to get your Magic Band or PhotoPass card scanned! Let me just say, words cannot even describe the magic that I felt when my almost two-year-old got her first haircut at Harmony Barber Shop or when my older daughter, four years old at the time, saw herself in the mirror all dressed up like a Disney Princess! I have those memories forever, thanks to Memory Maker!
- Disney PhotoPass Studios: There are two PhotoPass studios at Walt Disney World – at Disney Springs and at the Magic Kingdom inside Castle Couture. These photo shoots include different backgrounds and even props, some of which are Disney-themed (e.g. Rapunzel’s Frying Pan). You may notice that many families visit these locations after going to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique but anyone can walk in and get their pictures taken. There is usually a minimal wait to do so and all photos are included with Memory Maker.
- Magic Shots: Magic Shots are photos taken with you and your travel party, with some extra Disney magic added in! This may include animation or still images. There are many different options available and the PhotoPass photographers will pose you accordingly. I always recommend asking for Magic Shots!
While the information above focuses on Walt Disney World, PhotoPass is available at other Disney Destinations as well.
ESPN Wide World of Sports
If you or someone in your travel party is an athlete playing at ESPN Wide World of Sports, your Gameday photos are also PhotoPass photos. You can view these photos on the My Disney Experience app.
At Disneyland Resort, the PhotoPass service can be purchased by the day, part of Disney MaxPass or for the entire week with Disney PhotoPass+ One Week. Either option would include all photos taken by PhotoPass photographers and attraction photos.
Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa
At Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa, you can utilize the PhotoPass service at various locations including character meets, resort activities, character breakfast, and even underwater! Just get a PhotoPass card from one of the photographers and use it throughout the resort. You can then view all of your photos online.
Disney Cruise Line
While Disney Cruise Line does not offer Disney PhotoPass, there are photography services, Our Cruise Photos, available aboard each of the ships. These services are available for pre-purchase up to 2 days prior to boarding the ships. If you are planning a Disney Cruise, you will want to visit the website ahead of time. Then, once onboard, you will want to visit Shutters – the Onboard Photography Shop to pick up your photos.
There are so many memories made while visiting any of the Disney Destinations. With PhotoPass, you don’t have to worry about the camera or getting everyone in the picture! It’s one more way to relax and enjoy all the magic around you!
Ready to experience all the magic that the Disney Destinations have to offer? Let’s get started planning your next vacation! As an agent with Key to the World Travel, the official travel partner of Chip and Company, I can help you plan your trip to any Disney Destination and beyond! Contact me today at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the quote request form below. Follow me on Facebook and Instagram too for all the latest news and planning tips.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019