For those planning on paying a visit to Disneyland in 2018, one of the big highlights of the year ahead is the refurbishment of the Paradise Pier area of Disneyland Resort into the re-themed Pixar Pier. This new and improved themed area will feature distinct neighborhoods modeled after Disney•Pixar films and the creation of an Incredibles-themed coaster aptly named the Incredicoaster. However, in order to make way for all of these exciting changes, some of the popular Paradise Pier attractions (as we know them) will be closing. For those heading to Disneyland over the weeks and months ahead, here’s a bit of a head’s up on changes that may impact your visit.
1. Mickey’s Fun Wheel -(pictured above) Starting this week the Fun Wheel will be down for a Pixar-themed makeover. Though Mickey’s iconic smile will remain at the wheel’s center, the cars are going to be repainted to feature much-loved Pixar friends. Like the other attractions on our list, this ride will remain closed from now through until the Summer when Pixar Pier officially opens.
2. California Screamin’ – It’s out with the old and in with the new as the classic California Screamin’ Coaster is closed to make way for the Incredicoaster. During the renovations the existing ride will be transformed into a mid-century modern style coaster with a new loading area, cars, characters, special effects and a action-packed musical score.
3. Games of the Boardwalk – A little bit of Coney Island right in the heart of Disneyland Resort, these midway games are definitely a family favorite. Some of the games are already themed after Pixar characters and these will remain largely intact. However, the rest of the lot will receive a Pixar-themed makeover. Visitors in Early 2018 through until Summer can expect this area to be closed for renovations.
4. Sideshow Shirts – Similar to Games of the Boardwalk, this colorful souvenir shop will be getting a Pixar makeover and is currently closed to the public.
5. Ariel’s Grotto – In a move that is sure to disappoint little princesses, Ariel’s Grotto, the go-to eatery for Princess dining has also shut its doors along with the Cove Bar. Disney announced that the area will be transformed into a new lounge and grill that will offer views of Paradise Bay and Pixar Pier. Cove Bar will re-open temporarily around Pixar Fest in April before permanently closing.
So what about the attractions not on our list? There are a few attractions that are remaining intact and will continue to operate as usual throughout the renovations. These include:
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Golden Zephyr
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish
- Paradise Garden
- Sillly Symphony Swings
- The Little Mermaid- Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
All of these attractions will remain as part of a new neighborhood dubbed Paradise Park.
Guests to Disneyland Resort will get a first look at these changes during Pixar Fest which will start on April 13th. Highlights of the festival include a new Pixar Nighttime Spectacular, parades, special events, merchandise,Pixar-themed cuisine and so much more. Pixar Pier itself is slated to officially open at some point over the Summer.
Keep up to date on the latest Disneyland developments by following along with Disney Addicts and our sister site Chip and Co.
Thinking about a visit to Disneyland? Packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018? Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from booking your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get Dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019