As we get ready to welcome in the New Year, we here at Disney Addicts wanted to take just one last moment to celebrate all of the amazing happenings at Disneyland Resort in 2017. From new attractions and hotly anticipated renovations to the introduction of Disneyland’s New Max Pass system, so much has happened that it’s hard to keep up. For a look back at the West Coast Mouse’s more memorable moments here are 9 highlights that we wanted to share!
1. Disneyland Welcomes the Main Street Electrical Parade – 2017 kicked off with a bang when Disneyland theme park introduced the much loved Main Street Electrical Parade into its evening repertoire beginning on January 20th. The parade dazzled the Anaheim night sky right up until it closed in the Summer. I think you’ll agree from the video above that it was a good run!
2. Red Rose Taverne Opened in Fantasyland – The start of the year was a celebration of all things Beauty and the Beast with the release of the live action version of the film starring Emma Watson. To mark the occasion, Disneyland got it’s own Beauty and the Beast-themed eatery, the Red Rose Taverne which opened on February 24th. The new restaurant features themed decor and French cuisine inspired by the film. As you can see from the video above, its no wonder that it has become a welcome addition to Disneyland’s counter service line-up.
3. Autotopia Gets a New Look and Storyline – Beginning in March, fans were treated to a new version of the Disneyland park attraction Autotopia powered by Honda. Autotopia features Honda’s ASIMO (Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility) humanoid robot and a brand-new robotic sidekick- Bird. Bird is the first character created especially for this classic attraction. Guests can follow along as this robotic duo embarks on the ultimate road trip.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! – Need I say more? The arrival of Guardians of the Galaxy:- Mission: BREAKOUT at Disney California Adventure park was definitely THE highlight of 2017. The ride (a re-fashioning of the Tower of Terror attraction) officially opened to park guests at Disney California Adventure Park on May 27th and has been packing in the crowds ever since. In a star-studded premiere event, many of the actors and filmmakers from “Guardians of the Galaxy” where on hand to add to the excitement!
5. The Return of Fantasmic! – After a lengthy closure Fantasmic!, Disneyland Park’s dazzling nighttime spectacular returned to wow crowds beginning on July 17th. Featuring new scenes and characters it clear that the 25-year tradition of ending the night with this amazing production will continue well into the future!
6. Disneyland Introduces the New MaxPass System – Combining the ease of Disney’s FastPass System with fantastic photo downloads, Disney’s new MaxPass offering was first introduced to Disneyland visitors on July 19th. For $10 per person per day, guests were given the ability to select FastPasses from a smartphone (meaning no more running to the kiosks) as well as enjoy unlimited downloads of ride photos and pictures taken by Disneyland Resort’s amazing PhotoPass team. Check out the video above for a rundown of this exciting new offering.
7. Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America Re-Open – July 29th was an exciting day for Disneyland-goers as it marked the re-opening of the Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America after a lengthy refurbishment that featured the new Columbia Gorge section and the addition of five new picturesque waterfalls. Guests can now take in the breathtaking new scenery via the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. The Disneyland Railroad also now travels across a new trestle that extends onto the river and makes a left-hand turn as it circles the park.
8. Oscar Martinez Retires from Carnation Cafe After 60 Years of Service – If you’ve frequented Disneyland’s Carnation Cafe chances are you’ve bumped into Oscar, a Cast Member that has been serving up magic and memories at Disneyland for over 60 years. This much-loved Carnation Cafe Chef and longest-tenured Disney Parks Cast Member stepped down on September 27th. However, visitors to the restaurant for breakfast will notice that a homage to Oscar still remains. On the menu you’ll find Oscar’s Choice: All American Breakfast which features a hearty morning combination of two eggs any style with potatoes, biscuit and your choice of smoked bacon or apple-sausage.
9. Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Celebrations the Completion of a Hotel-Wide Renovation – The year ended with renovations finally being completed at the Grand Dame of Disneyland’s onsite resorts – The Grand Californian. Renovations included extensive changes to the hard and soft furnishings at the resort as well as to the Lobby. Check out the video above to see some of these exciting changes.
We think you’ll agree that 2017 was a banner year for Disneyland Resort and as we enter 2018 even more exciting changes are afoot. The upcoming year will bring the introduction of Pixar Fest as well as the redevelopment of Disney’s Paradise Pier to become the new Pixar Pier. Readers are encouraged to keep following along with Disney Addicts as well as our sister site Chip and Co. for the latest in Disneyland news and updates.
Thinking about a visit to Disneyland in the year ahead? Packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018. Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019