Q: I am planning on staying at Disney’s Pop Century Resort during my vacation. How can I make sure that I’m staying in a renovated room?
A. As families start to make their vacation plans for the year ahead, this is one of the most popular questions that I am being asked. Disney’s Pop Century Resort has always been a firm favorite in the Value Category with its fun theming, affordable rooms and nice amenities. In 2017, the resort started a renovation of all of the guest rooms that will result in big changes when it comes to layouts, hard and soft furnishings.
Changes include the replacement of carpets with hard flooring.
In addition, instead of the two double beds you’ll find in most Value Resorts, a majority of Pop Century rooms will now feature one queen bed and a dining room table (like those found in the family suites at Art of Animation) that can be pulled down to a bed that can accommodate two additional guests. The bathrooms are also being renovated with extra shelving and many featuring walk-in showers.
So how can I make sure I’m in one of these newly renovated rooms during my upcoming stay? As of going to print 5 of the resort’s 10 buildings have been renovated. Though there’s no option allowing guests (or travel agents) to specifically book one of these newly renovated rooms, guests always have the ability to request them. Disney doesn’t guarantee that your request will be honored though they do try to accommodate as many requests as they are able to.
In making these requests, it would be helpful to know what sections of the resort that have already undergone renovations.
Here’s a look at the Pop Century Resort Map:
The sections that have already been renovated are as follows:
- Building 6 in the 1970’s Section
- Building 7 in the 1980’s Section
- Building 8 in the 1990’s Section
- Building 9 in the 1990’s Section
- Building 10 in the 1970’s Section
Staying in a renovated room may be dependent on what room category you are booking. Here’s a quick breakdown that may help:
- Standard Rooms: You can find standard rooms in every building at Pop Century. If you’re interested in staying in a renovated room then request one of the buildings listed above.
- Standard Pool View Rooms – You’ll find these rooms either nestled in the back of the resort next to the computer shaped pool (buildings 7 and 9) or near the bowling pin pool (buildings 1, 2 and 3). As of going to print, the 1950’s section has yet to be renovated so guests determined to get a reno room may want to request the 80’s and 90’s buildings instead.
- Preferred Rooms – These are rooms guaranteed to be closest to central amenities. Preferred rooms can be found in buildings 1,3, 4, 5, 6 or 10. As of going to print 6 & 10 are the only buildings in this category that have been completed so opt for the 1970’s section when making your room request.
- Preferred Pool View Rooms – These rooms not only provide the closest access and best views of the Hippie Dippy Pool, but are also closest to central amenities. You’ll find this room type in buildings 4 or 5, neither of which have completed renovations.
Guests should note that renovations to the rooms will be continuing into 2018. Disney has not yet set a completion date for the project but we here at Disney Addicts and at our sister site Chip and Co. will continue to keep you updated. The information above is current as of January 6 ,2018, and will change as the renovation is progressing.
How Do I Request a Renovated Room? – As mentioned above, there is no way to pay for or officially lock in a renovated room. However, you can make a request which Disney will do their best to honor. Requests can be made a few ways. If booking directly through Disney, ask to have it added to your notes at the time of booking that you would like a renovated room. If booking through a Travel Agent, you can ask the agent to put this request in on your behalf.
During the online Check-In process via My Disney Experience, guests are often given the choice of picking a specific section or area that you’d like to be in. Though it may not be possible to request a renovated room here, it is possible to use the information above to pick a building or area that has already had renovations completed.
For guests checking-in at the resort, you can reiterate your request when arriving at the front desk. They Cast Members will usually be able to tell you straight away that you have been assigned a renovated room, if not they can always look to see if any are available but again, there are no guarantees.
And remember, you are at Disney to have a magical vacation. If you don’t get a renovated room during your stay, don’t let it put a damper on your magical time at Disney. All of the rooms (both old and new) at Pop Century are tastefully appointed and the hotel itself is fun, vibrant and offers wonderful amenities and impeccable customer service. However, if not being assigned a renovated room is a deal breaker, then consider a stay at Disney’s Art of Animation property. This value resort is located just across the lake from Pop Century. As Disney’s newest resort, it offers modern rooms throughout!
Thinking about a visit to Disney World in the year ahead? Packages are currently available to book through until the end of 2018. Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from picking your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- 20 Things We Love About Disney’s Animal Kingdom on Its 20th Anniversary - April 22, 2018
- 6 Stunning Original Concept Art Images to Celebrate 20 Years of Animal Kingdom - April 21, 2018
- 8 Of Our Favorite Places to Have Brunch at Walt Disney World - April 21, 2018