The moment Disney-bound Star Wars-lovers have been waiting for is quickly approaching with Galactic Nights, Disney Hollywood Studios’ celebration of the opening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi taking place a week on Saturday (December 16th). Details about this exclusive ticketed event are starting to come in thick and fast so we thought we’d share with you the highlights of this out-of-this-world celebration.
Events: Galactic Nights is going to be jam-packed with a ton of Star Wars-themed events and activities designed for fans of all ages and from newbie to expert. Here’s a rundown of what will be going on during this exciting evening offering:
1. Inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: This event will be taking place at the Epic Stunt Theater every hour (8.10pm, 9:10pm, 10:10pm and 11:10pm) and will feature an expert panel from both Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Imagineering who will give guests an inside look at the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge expansion coming to Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019. The event will be hosted by David Collins.
2. Star Wars: Galactic Destinations – Stare in wonder as the Hollywood Tower Hotel is transformed into an intergalactic multi-media extravaganza including a film projection show that shares vignettes of favorite Star Wars moments set to the much-loved cinematic score. The projection show will run throughout the evening starting at 7pm.
3. Jedi Training Academy – If you’ve tried to sign up your little ones for Jedi Training Academy then you know that competing for a spot can be just as crazy as nabbing those Black Friday bargains. That’s why families attending Galactic Nights will be pleased to know that the Training Academy will be taking place throughout the event (at 6.10pm, 6:40pm, 7.15pm, 7:45pm, 8.15pm, 8:45pm, 9:15pm, 9:45pm, and 10:15pm) providing, even more, opportunities for your young Padawans to square off against some formidable Disney baddies.
4. Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular – Finally this much-loved evening fireworks display will be back to wow crowds. This state-of-the-art evening production lights up the night sky with a combination of digital projections, pyrotechnics, and a laser light show all set to the scores of Star Wars films both old and new. If you’ve not yet seen Galactic Spectacular, it is sure to be the highlight of your evening and will be taking place at 11:45 on party night.
5. Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away – Taking place at 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9:30pm and 10:20pm, guests are able to experience a live stage show of high energy scenes from your favorite Star Wars films. Watch as much-loved characters take to the stage in this action-filled high energy production featuring Rey, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren and so many more.
6. Imperial March – Beginning at the front entrance of Hollywood Studios and sweeping all the way down Hollywood Boulevard, watch as a battalion of Stormtroopers march in formation to meet Darth Vader at the event stage at the foot of the Chinese Theatre. This event will take place at 7:05pm, 8:05pm, 9:05pm and 9:55pm).
7. DJ Dance Party – Throughout the night, a DJ will be spinning space-aged tunes at the Rebel Base (just in front of the Chinese Theatre) where guests can show off your out-of-this-world dance moves.
8. Droidbuilders – Held in Animation Courtyard during Galactic Nights, guests should be on the lookout for roaming R2 Builders Droids. R2 Builders is an international community of Star Wars fans who build their own replica robots akin to the droids you’ll find in the Star Wars galaxy.
9. Skywalker Vineyards Wine Seminar – During this tasting event, guests will learn about the winemaking process at Skywalker vineyards. The event will be held at the Hollywood Brown Derby at 6:15pm, 7:30pm, 8:45pm, and 10pm. The seminar is included in the cost of admission. Full bottles from the vineyards will be available for purchase.
Premium Events – If you’re looking for a way to enhance your Galactic Nights experience, the following premium experiences can be booked for an additional cost.
1. Jedi Recruitment Package – For those looking to splurge on that special Christmas gift, you may also want to opt for the Jedi Recruitment Package. For an additional $149.95 plus tax, your little Jedis will receive a Trials of the Temple Robe, official Star Wars lightsaber, personalized name badge, a t-shirt and a picture with a Jedi Master – available via free digital download.
2. Star Wars Galactic Nights Tasting Package with VIP Viewing – Perfect for foodies who want a taste of the VIP treatment, this package includes tasty treats inspired by the Star Wars films at various locations throughout the park. For $30 (plus tax) Star Wars fans can enjoy up to five food & beverage items as well as reserved seating from the 9:10 or 10:10pm showings of Inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Packages can be purchased near the Chinese Theatre where you will also receive an event passport which highlights the locations of the food & beverage stands included in the package.
3. Galactic Character Coutour Packages – Disney’s Senses Spa will be on the scene on party night offering guests special Star Wars themed hair, makeup and nail treatments. You’ll find them located inside Legends of Hollywood with appointments being offered on a first-come, first served basis.
Character Meet and Greets: Part of the fun of attending a Galactic Nights event is the opportunity to rub shoulders with some of your favorite Star Wars and Disney friends. Here’s a look at the characters that will be on hand during this special evening.
- AWR Troopers – Animation Courtyard
- BB-8- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Buzz Lightyear and Woody – Pixar Place
- Chewbacca- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Darth Vader- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Imperial Storm Troopers – Star Tours
- Jawas – Star Wars Launch Bay Cantina
- Kylo Ren – Star Wars Launch Bay
- Mickey & Minnie Mouse – Commissary Lane
- Olaf – Echo Lake
- Rey- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Seventh Sister – Sunset Showcase Courtyard
- Star-Lord and Groot – Walt Disney Presents
Attractions: At Galactic Nights guests also have a special opportunity to enjoy some of the main rides at Hollywood Studios without the long lines that you’ll find during the day. Here’s a look at the rides that will remain open during the party:
- MuppetVision 3D
- Rock ‘n’Roller Coaster (a special Star Wars edition)
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Launch Bay
- Star Wars: Path of the Jedi
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Walt Disney Presents
Photo Opportunities: During Galactic Nights PhotoPass photographers will be on hand to capture incredible themed photos featuring recognizable Star Wars-themed backdrops. Here’s a list of the backdrop locations for this year’s party:
- Batuu- Grand Avenue
- Emperor’s Throne Room on the Death Star – Hyperion Theater
- Hoth: Wampa Cafe – Sunset Showcase Courtyard
- Jakku: Luggabeast- Sunset Showcase
- Jedha: U-wing and K-2SO- Grand Avenue
- Luke’s Hut – Near the Chinese Theatre
- Malachor: Sith Temple – Sunset Showcase Courtyard (also featuring appearances by Seventh Sister)
- Tatooine: Rancor – Sunset Showcase
During the event, Walt Disney World will be offering Memory Maker for the party only at the special reduced price of $39. This package will entitle visitors to unlimited digital downloads of all of the pictures taken during the Galactic Nights festivities. the package must be purchased at Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind, Rock Around the Shop and Tower Hotel Gifts.
Star Wars-themed Food & Drink: During Galactic Nights guests will find special Star Wars treats throughout the park. Highlights of this year’s menu includes the Lightsaber Churros (pictured above) as well as special cookies, cupcakes and savory treats.
The Costumes – Galactic Nights is the one time of year where Star Wars fans both young and old can don their favorite Star Wars-themed costumes and head to the parks. Show your support for the Light or the Dark side and be sure to have your cameras at the ready as half the fun is seeing what the other visitors to the park are wearing on party night. However, there are some costume guidelines to be mindful of so if you’ll be in attendance give this a quick read first.
Merchandise – Guests attending Galactic Nights will have the opportunity to purchase merchandise exclusive to the event including t-shirts, tumblers and pins. There’s also special Solo: A Star Wars Story merchandise created especially for Disney Parks which will be available through May 25, 2018. As part of the Star Wars: Force For Change initiative, 25% of all retails sales of the Solo merchandise will be donated to UNICEF USA in support of UNICEF Kid Power.
Special Event Merchandise will be available at the following locations:
- Celebrity 5 & 10
- Launch Bay Cargo
- Legends of Hollywood
- Mickey’s of Hollywood
- Once Upon a Time
- Stage 1 Company Store
- Tatooine Traders
And speaking of merchandise, to celebrate the debut of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, guests attending the event who presents a proof of purchase or ticket stub from the opening weekend of the film, December 14-17, will receive a FREE commemorative holiday ornament. One per guest, while supplies last.
Tickets are still available for this special night encompassing all things Star Wars. So if you’ll be in the Orlando area on December 16, 2017, and consider yourself a Star Wars fan, this is an event you won’t want to miss. Park access and activities listed above will be exclusive to party guests only. Event hours are from 7 pm-midnight on December 16th. Tickets are priced at $129 per adult and $124 for children between 3-9. Tickets are available for Annual Passholders and DVC members. Tickets can be purchased through your travel agent, at disneyworld.com or by calling 407.WDW.DISNEY.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019