After several trips from Michigan to Orlando and lots of research, I started to developed a list of supplies and items that I bring to our Disney resort room to make life easier while we are on vacation.
Before I get to my tips on what to bring with you, I want to recommend a few things:
- When you first go into your room, make time to unpack if you are staying for more than a night. We unpack our clothes into the dresser and hang up the things that need to be hung.
- If you have brought snacks or food items, set them up as well too. Every hotel has a shelf, counter, tv stand, something that you can use for storage.
- Setup your toiletries where you will be using them (on the sink counter, in the shower, etc.)
- Designate a place for shoes. With a family of 5 we end up with shoes everywhere if we don’t pick a place (usually near the door) to keep them.
Ok, now that you have your room setup as much like home as possible, here are my tips on what to bring to make life easier living out of a hotel room.
- Fold up hamper – This has made our room so much cleaner, all the dirty clothes go in the hamper instead of a pile on the floor or in a suitcase.
- Laundry detergent – In the travel toiletries section of the grocery store I have been able to find laundry detergent (some include softener) packets. They hardly take up any room in the suitcase and they help in several ways: (1) if you wash clothes in the middle of your vacation you don’t need to bring as many clothes (2) if you wash clothes at the end of your stay you can take home almost all clean clothes and avoid the “after vacation laundry pile”. We toss our clothes in the washer and take the kids to the resort pool.
- Several sponges that I have presoaked with dish detergent – I discovered this tip because of my daughters using sippy cups at Disney several years ago. The first time we went I didn’t think through how I was going to properly clean the cups between use and it got a little shady! Now, I cut a sponge into smaller pieces before we leave home, put a drop of dish detergent on each one, let them dry, wrap in plastic wrap and I am ready to wash sippy cups and the Rapid Fill Refillable Mugs that we get with our dining plan. Last month I discovered a new product that will make this even easier; Bounty makes papertowels that have Dawn dish detergent in them. They work great!
- Toaster – I am all for eating at the restaurants when I am on vacation, especially Disney World. We usually get the dining plan and use the meals for lunch and dinner (occasionally a character meal for breakfast). Since we are usually eating our breakfast in the hotel room I love to bring my toaster. This gives us the option of toast, poptarts, and bagels for breakfast. Since every room has a mini-fridge we can bring cream cheese for our bagels, jam for our toast, and if you are really daring you could even pre-make french toast and pancakes at home and reheat them in the toaster!
- Something special– A few years ago I found a great deal on having a banner customized online. I ordered a banner that had a princess castle on it and said “Welcome to Disney Kirby Family!”. When we got to the hotel and checked in my husband walked the girls along the river at French Quarter and I moved our car to our designated parking lot and broke out the tape and hung the banner on our hotel room window. The girls were so excited and thought Disney made the sign just for us! I also like to buy the stick-on wall decals and once the girls fall asleep we hang little Disney decals up around our hotel room. When the girls wake up they think that Tinkerbell visited the room to decorate while they were sleeping!
The options are really endless as to ways you can make your hotel room feel more like home while you are on vacation. My family loves to get all settled in on the first day and then we can spend the rest of our trip feeling like we are at our home away from home… Disney World!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019