Being able to treat your loved ones to a magical Disney getaway can be an emotional experience in itself whether it saving for years, doing the big reveal or counting done the days. Trust us when we say that once you are at Disney World that doesn’t stop. Around every corner is an amazing experience, a chance encounter or a bit of pixie dust that can make you emotional. Trust us, we’ve been there. That’s why we’ve compiled this list of 10 Disney moments that can melt even the hardest of hearts.
1. The Kiss Goodnight – (pictured) This one gets us every time. For those of you that don’t know, The Kiss Goodnight happens each evening after “Happily Ever After” and once the park is getting ready to close for the day. This 2-3 minute event starts up around 30 minutes after the park has officially closed and while the gift shops remain open. It is essentially Magic Kingdom’s way of saying “Go Home” but like everything done Disney-style it is filled with pixie dust. Cinderella’s Castle will start to twinkle to life as “When you Wish Upon a Star” starts to play over the speakers. The narrator gives everyone a heart-felt send-off before Mickey personally wishes everyone goodnight. Its definitely a little magical moment worth lingering around for.
2. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Big Reveal – Have your Kleenex at the ready for this one. If you are bringing your daughter(s) to Disney for the first time, chances are a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment is on your “to-do” list. After the dress has been picked out, the make-up done, the nails painted and the hair put perfectly in place, nothing really prepares you for the look on their face when their personal Fairy Godmother spins your child around to see their magical transformation. It’s the point as a parent where you realize you’ve made their dreams come true. And if you don’t manage to snap a photo of the magical moment, a Disney PhotoPass photographer is there to do it for you.
3. Meeting Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theatre – You haven’t truly arrived at Disney until you’ve had a chance to meet Mickey and this Town Square meet and greet definitely packs an emotional punch. Guests are made to feel like they are going backstage to Mickey’s magical dressing room that first encounter really makes you feel like you’ve arrived. Oh and have we mentioned that no one gives snuggles as good as Mickey? It is a wonderful intimate Disney encounter that your family won’t soon forget.
4. Princess Procession- Akershus Royal Banquet Hall – When it comes to dining with the Princesses, I actually prefer Akershus to Cinderella’s Royal Table for one reason, the Princess Procession. Mid-point through your dinner, all of your favorite Disney princesses will gather up all the little princesses (and princes) for a Princess Procession through the restaurant. There’s a lovely little song that plays and you can’t help but tear up as the princesses hold your child’s hand and stroll through the restaurant beaming with pride. It’s one of the incredible moments you’ll only find at Disney.
5. Walking Through Toy Story Land for the First Time – The Imagineering that went into Hollywood Studios latest expansion is bound to make you a bit teary-eyed. From the moment you step into this magical wonderland, you’ll feel like you’re the size of the toys in Andy’s back garden as your roam, play and encounter some magical Pixar pals along the way. Wonderful details like sitting on a park bench made of popsicle sticks, or seeing Andy’s giant footprint on the ground adds to the feeling of wonder and whimsy you get while strolling around. If seeing your children’s eyes light up doesn’t bring the waterworks then having the opportunity (if only for a little while) to be a kid again certainly will!
6. Soaring on the Back of a Banshee – This is one destined to make all of the dads weepy. This ride is like the culmination of all of your childhood dreams. From the beautiful landscapes, the realistic movement of flying through the sky and the feeling of being on the back of a beautiful banshee complete with the sensation that it is breathing underneath you, this is Disney Imagineering at its best. The feeling you get while riding it is like no other. I’ve been lucky enough to ride Flight of Passage a few times and each time saw the teary eyes of riders around me saying they’ve never experienced anything like it in their lives.
7. Witnessing the Opening Ceremony at Animal Kingdom – So much emphasis is placed on Magic Kingdom’s rope drop each morning that a lot of people tend to overlook just how magical the opening of Animal Kingdom each morning really is. Just waking up toward Discovery Island and seeing the Tree of Life for the first time can be evocative in itself but then something magical happens right before the park opens, a beautiful flock of colorful birds soar through the sky, directly over your heads in what is one of the most breathtaking moments I’ve ever experienced at Disney. An absolutely beautiful start to the day!
8. Seeing Cinderella Castle for the First Time – You dream about it every time you see the opening credits of a Disney film and finally here you are staring down Main Street at Cinderella’s Castle. The Castle seems to perfectly epitomize the magic of Disney and the goal many families have worked toward in planning a Disney vacation. That feeling you get when seeing the castle towering regally in the distance is like no other. It’s the moment when you realize you’ve truly arrived and what awaits is nothing short of magical.
9. Having Your Christmas Dreams Come True– A visit to Walt Disney World is special every time of year but there is something so incredibly magical and emotional about experiencing the parks at Christmas. Whether its tearing up at the retelling of the original Christmas Story during Epcot’s Candlelight Processional to watching tin soldiers and gingerbread men march down Main Street during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, you’ll never have another holiday quite like this one. There’s also a visit from Santa, giant gingerbread creations at the resorts and did I mention that they make it snow on Main Street?
9. Disney’s Magical Express Bus Home – You’ve just boarded Magical Express on your way back to the airport at the end of your Disney vacation. Its definitely a teary moment as you say good-bye to Walt Disney World and reflect on what a long, exhausting yet amazing and emotional week it has been. There’s a reason people have dubbed it the “tragical express.”
Is there an emotional Disney World moment that gets you every time? Let us know in the comments below.
Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you get the best discounts for your Disney World vacation package, assist with making dining and Fastpass reservations and can even help you plan an itinerary filled with extra special seasonal touches. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Contact me at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook and let’s get planning!
Images copyright Disney
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019