Tis the Halloween Season and we here at Disney Addicts thought what better way to celebrate all things that go bump in the night than by paying homage to the delightfully macabre Haunted Mansion. Since opening at Disneyland in 1969 this attraction has become a firm favorite with Disney-goers from around the globe with versions at Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland. There’s so much to love about this frightfully delightful attraction and in the spirit of Halloween here are 13 of our favorites.
1.Haunted Mansion Queue Murder Mystery- As you enter the Haunted Mansion queue, notice the busts to your right. Starting with Uncle Jacob- follow the clues to reveal a special Murder Mystery. See if you can figure out who done it. My quick tip? It pays to look behind….
2. Spirit Photography at Momento Mori- Not only does the Haunted Mansion have one of the most delightful gift shops in Walt Disney World, those looking for a spooky treat also have the opportunity to capture their spectral image via these amazing ghost photos. Head to the back of the shop where you’ll find the photographers studio. Pose for your photo and then wait for it to come out of the mysterious cupboard at the front of the shop. The finished products are eerie to say the least. An 8×10 will set you back about $20.00
3. Madame Carlotta – Head over to the Haunted Mansion during Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and you’ll see Madame Carlotta holding court in the front yard. She’s got it all, beauty, poise and a razor-sharp wit. It’s a spooky character sighting not to be missed.
4. Pet Cemetery – Next time you’re at Disneyland or Disney World be on the lookout for the special cemeteries set aside for these dearly departed pets. In Disneyland, you’ll encounter the pet cemetery as you walk along the Haunted Mansion entrance queue. In Walt Disney World, you’ll find their plot as you exit the house. And for those at Walt Disney World, be on the lookout for the gravestone of a much loved Disney attraction. Gone from this world to make way for Pooh.
5. Madame Leota – Everyone’s favorite floating head, Madame Leota’s voice may sound eerily familiar to first-time Haunted Mansion visitors. This is because the character is voiced by Eleanor Audley who’s other credits include Maleficent and Lady Tremaine.
6. Hatbox Ghost – Originally a failed attraction at the original Haunted Mansion in Disneyland, this happy haunt became the stuff of legend after its removal from the ride. Rumors swirled as to why the ghost was taken away with some believing they could never really get the special effects involved working correctly and others believing it was too scary for little riders. Regardless of the reason, Disney brought back the ghost in 2015 where it has been menacing guests ever since!
7. The only attraction to appear in four different lands. Here’s one for the globe-trotting Disney-goers. If you did a World Tour of Haunted Mansions you’d find that they appear in 4 different lands across 4 theme parks. In Disney World the Haunted Mansion is located in Liberty Square. In Disneyland, you’ll find a Southern version in New Orleans Square. In Disneyland Paris, it’s known as Phantom Manor and can be found in Frontierland and at Tokyo Disneyland it’s in Fantasyland!
8. Haunted Mansion Holiday – In a move that has East Coast Disney-goers green with envy, each year Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion gets a Nightmare Before Christmas makeover that starts in the Fall and runs into the New Year. Most of the key scenes in the ride are given a Tim Burton-esque overlay making it feel like a completely different seasonal attraction. One of the highlights is the amazing gingerbread display on the dining room table with a different theme each year.
9. Wedding Ring – As you near the entrance to the Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World, be on the lookout for a discarded engagement ring appearing in the pavement. Is it a doomed relic from the Haunted Mansion’s ghost bride? Try and find this famous bit of Disney lore and make up your own mind. No picture for this one as we don’t want to give it away but if you get stuck ask a cast member for help.
10. Raven – Next time you’re enjoying the Haunted Mansion, count how many ravens you can find throughout the attraction. When the Haunted Mansion storyline was originally being developed, the intention was to have a Raven narrate the tale. Though the role was quickly handed over to the Ghost Host, the bird remains as an homage to the original ride as well as to the master of the macabre Edgar Allan Poe.
11. Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour- The perfect 2 1/2 hour treat for Haunted Mansion enthusiasts, embark on a journey to parts of the Haunted Mansion that you’ve never seen before and be let in on some behind-the-screams secrets. The tour runs daily at 8am and is $49 per person. Book your slot at 407.WDW.TOUR.
12. Magic Shots – If you’re visiting Walt Disney World and you have the Memory Maker package, don’t miss your chance to be photographed with some of your favorite ghostly friends. Catch the PhotoPass photographer as you leave the ride to your left.
13. Hitchhiking Ghosts – And speaking of our favorite trio, did you know that these three fellas actually have names? Ezra is the skeleton, Gus is the bearded prisoner and Phineas carries the suitcase.
Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you get the best discounts for your Disney World vacation package, assist with making dining, Fastpass and Mickeys’ Not-So-Scary Halloween Party reservations and can even help you plan an itinerary filled with extra special seasonal touches. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Contact me at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook and let’s get planning!
Images copyright Disney
Latest posts by Disney Addicts Past Writers and Friends (see all)
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019
- 10 Commonly Asked Questions About Booking A Walt Disney World Vacation - June 16, 2019
- New Attractions coming to Walt Disney World - June 14, 2019