There was a love for all things Toy Story from the moment it hit theaters in 1995. Since Toy Story was the first-ever CGI film to be released, it blew minds and expectations of what could be done in the world of animation. Pixar knew it had a hit on its hands and 4 years later, Toy Story 2 was released – with Disney partnering with producing the film. Since Disney’s acquisition of Pixar in 2006, 2 feature films and many shorts followed suit. With the upcoming release of ‘Lightyear’, fans of the franchise looking for a refresh may wonder where to begin! We hope this humble list may help make your rewatching experience a bit easier by starting, well… in the beginning!
- Toy Story (1995) – Feature Film
- If you are looking to watch any Toy Story film before heading to theaters, this would be the one to choose. The first appearance of Buzz lies in this film. Characters that span the test of time were made famous because of this groundbreaking film and it still holds up to this day!
- Toy Story 2 (1999) – Feature Film
- This film delves into the history of Woody and introduces Jessie, Bullseye, the Prospector, Barbie… shall I go on? Plus, it may potentially have the most satisfying animated toy restoration ever seen on screen.
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins (2000) – Direct-to-Video Film
- If you are looking for the one film that inspired a show (2000-2001: Buzz Lightyear of Star Command) and a film (2022: Lightyear), check out this animated film. Buzz Lightyear of Star Command starts with the toys from Toy Story who are watching Andy’s VHS about Buzz Lightyear. This is where the lore of Buzz within Toy Story began!
- Toy Story 3 (2010) – Feature Film
- When released, the fans of Toy Story 3 believed it to be a nicely wrapped ending of Toy Story as a whole. What many did not realize, was that the film was actually the ending of Andy’s journey with his toys – and a peak of where their adventure with Bonnie would begin!
- Hawaiian Vacation (2011) – Short
- Taking place after Toy Story 3, this adorable short shows Barbie and Ken making the most of their failed vacation plans.
- Small Fry (2011) – Short
- This adorable 7-minute short is about the trials and tribulations of being a fast food toy.
- Partysaurus Rex (2012) – Short
- Bath toys are just as important as your day-to-day toys – and Rex is sure to show you in this short film!
- Toy Story of Terror! (2013) – Short
- Who doesn’t love a spooky Toy Story tale? This not-so-spooky 21-minute short shows that there is safety in numbers – especially when you’re a toy in a spooky motel.
- Toy Story That Time Forgot (2014) – Short
- Trixie, Bonnie’s toy triceratops, has her time to shine! Dinosaurs, teamwork, and – what’s not to love?
- Toy Story 4 (2019) – Feature Film
- The beginning of a new Toy Story chapter. If you are not caught up on your Toy Story films because Toy Story 3 felt so… perfect, give this one a try. It holds its own and creates an entirely new avenue of Toy Story film possibilities!
- Forky Asks a Question (2019-2020) – Shorts
- This one is great for kiddos asking the tough questions! Forky, one of the main characters in Toy Story 4, is a new toy who is just trying to figure out some little questions that tend to have some big answers.
- Lamp Life (2020) – Short
- Did you watch Toy Story 4 and have some questions on what happened to Bo Peep between Toy Story Story 2 and 4? This short looks to answer those questions – and show what an absolute powerhouse Bo really is!
- To Fitness and Beyond (2021) – Short
- The first short in the Pixar Popcorn series that came out in 2021 – To Fitness and Beyond is pretty much self-explanatory, with Buzz leading the way.
- Fluffy Stuff with Ducky & Bunny (2021) – Shorts
- In the Pixar Popcorn series, we are greeted with 2 familiar faces from Toy Story 4 – Ducky and Bunny. The two shorts, titled ‘Love’ and ‘Three Heads’, display their hilarious antics.
There is quite a lot to unpack but actually, not an incredible amount to watch. 5 full films and the rest are bite-sized shorts! If you are a movie marathon type – this is sure to be a fun one. Just make sure you have a box of tissues for Toy Story 2, 3, and 4, and a bundle of snacks!
What is your favorite Toy Story short? Let us know in the comments below!
Honorable Mentions –
- The Story Behind ‘Toy Story’ (1996)
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (2000-2001)
Photo / Information: Disney
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!