Disney has been in the nature documentary business for awhile. Though this film unit has only existed since April 2008, the first nature short aired in 1948. A lot has changed since then. Documentaries and shows about nature are more popular than ever. The Disneynature studios are working to tell stories about nature that have been told before while also preserving the message of conservation and eco-welfare.
Check out these 5 early and new nature docs that Disney has available on Disney+!
- The Living Desert (1953)
- The first of its kind. Though Disney had done shorts before, a full-length movie made all the difference. Theatrical, whimsical and dramatic – the commentary is playful and directed towards the audience. More sass than substance, you still end up finding yourself enjoying the journey it takes you on.
- Earth (2007)
- After the “True-Life Adventure” adventure series ended, there was a large, LARGE gap in the Disney Nature docs. In 2007, Disneynature released “Earth”. Stunning, informative, heartbreaking – the film took nature documentaries to a new level. A clear evolution from where Disney nature documentaries had begun.
- Perri (1957)
- It’s a documentary/story about a squirrel named Perri. I know what you’re thinking – why THIS film? There is more to this film than meets the eye. ‘Perri’ does a brilliant job in keeping you engaged about the trials and tribulations of… of all things… a squirrel!
- Chimpanzee (2012)
- A beautiful message of determination and love. ‘Chimpanzee’ shows the complex lives of these beautiful apes and what it takes to survive and thrive in the rainforest of Côte d’Ivoire.
- Oceans (2010)
- There are still so many unknowns, in Disneynature’s ‘Oceans’, we take a look into a completely different world that many have never laid eyes on. ‘Oceans’ sheds light on behaviors and creatures that never may reach the surface. Warning to those with Thalassophobia, this film is not for you.
There are so many Disneynature documentaries to choose from. With each film, you will get an entirely new experience. No two are exactly the same. So after you’ve enjoyed the great outdoors and done some recycling, sit down and watch one of these great films – you can’t go wrong!
- Top 8 Animal Kingdom Attractions and Rides for Expectant Mothers - February 23, 2021
- Happy 25th Birthday, Muppet Treasure Island! - February 16, 2021
- Get Cozy and Watch these 10 Romantic Animated Movies that are Perfect for Valentine’s Day – on Disney+! - February 12, 2021