Disney’s Contemporary Resort was the first hotel on Walt Disney World Resort property. This modern resort has fantastic views, great pools, and of course amazing dining! If you’d like to have a taste of the award-winning restaurants from the Contemporary in your own home, check out the recipes below:
Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli- You can find this delicious ravioli at California Grill in Disney’s Contemporary Resort. It is served with Tomato-Fennel Broth, Crispy Mushrooms, Tiny Basil, and Arbequina Organic Olive Oil.
Goat Cheese Ravioli
- 1 pound soft mild goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 1⁄2 ounces aged goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons store-bought basil pesto
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic purée (recipe follows)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
Clear Tomato Broth (optional)
Makes 4 cups
- 15 whole vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
Roasted Garlic Purée
Makes 2 tablespoons
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Goat Cheese Ravioli
In a large bowl, stir together the fresh goat cheese, aged goat cheese, bread crumbs, pesto, olive oil, roasted garlic purée, salt, and pepper until well combined. On a work surface, lay out 8 egg roll wrappers and brush each with the egg wash. With a sharp knife, mark each wrapper into 4 squares, taking care not to cut all of the way through. Place about 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese mixture in the center of each square.
Cover with the 8 remaining egg roll wrappers and press the edges together. With a knife, cut each double wrapper with filling into 4 squares, to yield 32 squares of filled ravioli. Press the edges together. (If you are not using the ravioli immediately, sprinkle them lightly with cornmeal, and store refrigerated between layers of waxed paper).
When ready to serve, cook the ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain completely. Serve with Clear Tomato Broth or chopped seeded ripe tomatoes.
Clear Tomato Broth
In a blender, in batches, coarsely chop the tomatoes with the salt. Place the chopped tomatoes in a large sieve lined with a double layer of damp cheesecloth, set it over a bowl, and let the mixture drain in the refrigerator for 24 hours to collect the liquid. Discard the tomato pulp and reserve the liquid.
Roasted Garlic Purée
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut off the stem and top third of 1 whole garlic head. Place the garlic on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the garlic with foil, seal the edges tightly and roast for 1 hour. Remove the package from the oven, open carefully, and let the garlic cool slightly. Scrape or squeeze the pulp from the garlic cloves.
Grilled Pork Tenderloin– a delicious entree choice from California Grill at the Contemporary Resort is the grilled pork tenderloin. This dish is completely delectable and is served with a goat cheese polenta and Zinfandel sauce.
- One-third to one-half pound of fresh (not previously frozen) pork tenderloins per person
- 1 stick of butter (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 head garlic, diced and sauteed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups polenta (less if you prefer a softer texture)
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs-equal parts thyme, rosemary, sage, and chives (if using dried herbs, cut proportions in half).
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Basalmic Smothered Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup stock, chicken or beef
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, or portobello)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- Coat the tenderloins with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Sear in a hot cast-iron skillet, browning on all sides.
- Set aside for later grilling, reserving pan juices.
- Combine all ingredients until well blended.
- Set aside.
- Saute onion in a small amount of olive oil until transparent.
- Stir in garlic, then add water, milk and cream and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in polenta slowly, stirring until thick and bubbling.
- Continue to stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let thicken for 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a pan and bake at 275 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fold in cheeses and herbs.
- Add salt and pepper and pour into a crock to serve.
Basalmic Smothered Mushrooms
- Place shallots in a saute pan with the reserved pork tenderloin pan juices.
- Saute, stirring, then deglaze the pan with the wine and vinegar.
- Reduce liquid by half, then add the stock and continue cooking until liquid has reached a light glaze consistency.
- Wash, slice and season the mushrooms with a little olive oil.
- Spread the mushrooms out on a grill rack and place over low heat.
- Cover for a few minutes to lightly smoke the mushrooms.
- Combine the mushrooms with the reduced liquid and set aside.
Lump Crab Cakes- this is a wonderful appetizer from The Wave…of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. It can be a great appetizer to have at home as well!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine mayonnaise, egg, seafood seasoning, Dijon, lemon juice, chives, cayenne, and black pepper in a medium bowl, whisking to combine.
- Gently fold crab into mayonnaise mixture, being careful not to break up up crab.
- Gently fold in panko until just incorporated—do not over mix.
- Form balls about the size of a golf ball, and press them into cakes.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Cook crab cakes 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until crab cakes are golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with tartar sauce lemon wedges.
- Combine mayonnaise, pickle, seafood seasoning, sriracha, lemon juice, paprika, chives, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir until very well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Breakfast Pizza– If you want to wake up with a Disney breakfast, then you’ll want to try this breakfast pizza from Chef Mickey’s! Chef Mickey’s is a wonderful character dining restaurant in the Contemporary Resort.
- 1 pre-made multigrain pizza crust
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese – shredded
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 eggs – scrambled and cooled
- 4 strips of bacon – pre-cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scramble two eggs, after cooked place on a paper plate place in freezer to cool down quickly.
- Once cooled, place in bowl add salt, pepper and mix in half and half.
- Set aside.
- Take the ricotta cheese and add salt and pepper.
- Spread ricotta cheese mixture over pre-made crust, sprinkle both of the cheeses over the entire pizza.
- Next sprinkle the scrambled egg mixture and chopped bacon over the entire pizza.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Chocolate Lava Cake– Who doesn’t love a sweet, mouth-watering chocolate cake?! This cake, from California Grill in the Contemporary Resort, is sadly no longer available at the restaurant, but we can still make our own at home.
- 8 1-ounce semisweet chocolate squares, chopped or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 sticks of butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter sides of 6 individual (3/4 cup) ramekins. Lightly coat with sugar, shake out excess.
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from over water and cool 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl; add sugar and beat until thick and light, about 2 minutes.
- Fold in chocolate mixture. Sift flour, then fold into batter, mixing until smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared cups, filling 3/4 full. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until sides of cake are set and middle is still soft. Do not over-bake.
- Using a small knife, cut around sides of cakes to loosen. Invert onto plates and serve with your favorite ice cream. Serves 6.
What are your favorite menu items from Disney’s Contemporary Resort?