With Orlando Summer temperatures often in the 90’s. it’s important for visitors young and old take extra special precautions to make sure that you are looking after yourself in the sweltering heat! Here are 7 of our top tips when it comes to beating the heat at Walt Disney World.
1. Stay hydrated by taking advantage of FREE ice water. Heat stroke can be a serious thing at Walt Disney World that’s why Disney takes extra precautions to make sure that none of their visitors have to go without water. If you make a pit stop at any of the restaurants on Walt Disney World property, they will have an ice water at the ready. It can often be the perfect thing to cool you off when things start to get a little too hot so don’t be afraid to take advantage of this complimentary service. I do on every trip. You’ll find it offered everywhere from snack spots to quick service and table service locations.
2. Familiarize yourself with nice places to cool off at each park. When things get a bit too hot for my family, we have a handful of go-to locations at each of the theme parks that we hit to cool off. Whether its a nice air-conditioned stage show or a water play area, it pays to pinpoint a few spots that you can stop at to beat that afternoon heat. For some helpful suggestions check out this article on the 3 best places to cool off at each Walt Disney World Theme Park.
3. Head back to the resort – Midday heat in Orlando can be particularly brutal. If you know that the hot temperatures may be an issue for your family then pre-empt overheating by scheduling in time to head back to your resort. Whether it’s for a splash in the pool or a nice big nap in your air-conditioned room, an afternoon break can be the perfect way not only to stay cool but to re-charge your batteries. With most parks staying open until at least 9 pm, Taking a couple of hours out in the afternoon still means you have ample time to dive back into your favorite attractions in the evening when temperatures and tempers are a lot more manageable.
4. Stock up on items to keep cool. There are items that you can bring along with you to Walt Disney World that are not only great for cooling off but are easy on the budget and save you the expense of having to shell out for more expensive Disney versions. Buy a couple of cheap spray bottles at your Dollar Store. They weigh nothing, don’t take up much space in your luggage and can easily be filled at the parks for family members who may need a bit of a spritz throughout the day. Another item I don’t leave home without is cooling towels. They fold easily into your luggage and park bag and when you wet them they stay cool for ages. I tend to keep mine draped on the back of my neck all day to avoid the dreaded (and painful) back-of-the-neck sunburn.
5. Pace Yourself –When you are in the heat of the moment, many guests don’t realize just how hard you are pushing yourself to get to that next amazing Disney attraction, make your Fastpass time slot or check in for your dining reservation. The parks are massive and you’re walking a lot further than you may even realize. It’s not uncommon to walk 7 or 8 miles in one day. That’s why it’s really important to remind yourself throughout the day to take breaks or sometimes just even slow down.
6. Wear comfortable clothing – Scout ahead to see what the forecast is going to be and dress appropriately. I always see visitors toughing it out in blue jeans in the sweltering Florida heat and feel a bit bad for them. Familiarize yourself with what temperatures are typically like during the time you’re visiting and make sure to pack accordingly. Wear cool, comfortable and breathable clothing and pack comfortable layers in case it may be a little cooler in the morning or evenings. Dressing appropriately can go a long way toward ensuring that you aren’t overheating while at the parks.
7. Indulge in a Cool Snack – This is the beauty of staying cool at Walt Disney World, around every corner is a frozen or ice cream treat calling your name. From Mickey Ice Cream Bars to Dole Whips and from Frozen Cokes to Ice Cream Sandwiches, staying cool has never tasted so good. My favorite way to cool off at Disney World? I head straight to Gaston’s Tavern in Magic Kingdom of a Le Fou’s Brew. Its a giant glass of very frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow and a mango foam!
These are just a few of the ways that visitors can combat the Florida heat. You’ll want to see do and explore everything, but its important to do it in a way that keeps your family safe. Heat stroke does happen to visitors at Walt Disney World. So remember, have the time of your life but also look after yourself! And should you start to feel a bit unwell or overheated, find your nearest cast member.
Thinking about a visit to Disney? There are still fantastic 2018 packages to be had and bookings can now be made for 2019!! Get a jump-start on your plans and fill out our form below to receive your FREE quote.
Click here for your FREE no obligation quote!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations. I also love sharing tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your time at the parks. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started Now for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
- How Does Lost and Found Work at Disney World? - December 19, 2021
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019