For those planning at Disneyland vacation, you may find yourself having the great “Should I stay onsite or offsite?” debate. Though there are great values to be hand all around Anaheim, there are some really fantastic perks to staying onsite at one of Disneyland’s three resorts, including close proximity to the parks, a big helping of Disney magic and even early morning park hours just for resort guests. When it comes to staying onsite, our favorite place to go is definitely Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel. A question I get asked a lot by first-time visitors is whether booking a stay at this Grand Dame of Disneyland properties is worth it? Though every traveller is different, we here at Disney Addicts think there’s a lot to love about this hotel. To help you decide here are 8 of the things we love most about the Grand Californian.
1. Recently renovated rooms – The Grand Californian underwent a massive renovation in 2016 & 2017 and one of the biggest changes can be found in each of the 950+ guestrooms. Design elements include headboards made of quarter-sawn oak done in a Craftsman style which frames a whimsical blossoming orange tree mural featuring a mischevious Chip n’ Dale. There’s also a sleeper bed (which means select rooms can sleep families of 5) which when pulled down features the artwork of Bambi and other woodland creatures. California inspired artwork adorns the walls and countertops incorporate recycled green glass from wine bottles creating beautiful surfaces. Other updates include 55″ smart TV’s, Keurig coffee makers and built in USB chargers.
2. Napa Rose – When it comes to gourmet dining at Disneyland, it doesn’t get much better than the Grand Californian’s Napa Rose restaurant. This delightful dining room features beautiful craftsman decor, an absolutely incredible cuisine. For over 10 years, Chef Andrew Sutton has impressed visitors with his fresh and innovative dishes. Favorites on the menu include Roasted Colorado Lamb Chops, Rosemary Grilled Petit Filet Mignon and Buffalo Brisket Pot Roast. With most entrees upwards of $50 it is definitely an exclusive dining experience but also one that you won’t soon forget. Since it first opened in 2002, the restaurant has garnered impressive accolades from the likes of Wine Spectator and Zagat.
3. Three amazing swimming pools – This resort features not one but three amazing swimming pools for onsite guests to enjoy. The Fountain Pool located next to Storyteller’s Cafe offers a relaxing pool area set against a backdrop of beautiful trees, stone walls and rocky paths. The Redwood Pool is all about families with a 90-foot waterslide that curves around the giant stump of a Redwood Tree and the Mariposa Pool features beautiful butterflies and decorative lights in the pool deck area allowing visitors to bask in the rustic surroundings. A Mickey Mouse-shaped kids pool is also available, poolside cabanas can be rented and a whirlpool spa is also located next to the Mariposa Pool.
4. The hotel is in a theme park – When it comes to close proximity to the parks, it doesn’t get much better than the Grand Californian which actually sits on the edge of Disney California Adventure Park. Check it out:
The blue dot is in the central courtyard of the hotel property. Just to the right, you can see Grizzly River Run an attraction at California Adventure. You are that close! In fact, many of the rooms look right into the park. What makes it even better is that the resort also offers a private entrance into the theme park! Guests should note that a valid theme park admission ticket must be purchased to gain entry.
5. Mandara Spa – After a long day spent traversing the parks, relax and unwind with the Mandara Spa located right in the hotel The Spa specializes in Balinese practices, massaging the left side of the body and then moving to the right to achieve optimal results. They offer a wide array of spa treatments including massages, facials and wraps. Our favorites are their range of signature treatments including the Fire and Ice Massage and the Coconut Poultice Massage. Trust us when we say that a trip to Mandara is the ultimate indulgence.
6. A monorail runs through it – Though the Disneyland monorail only makes stops in Tomorrowland and in Downtown Disney, it does pass right through Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel to the utter delight of tiny travellers. Unlike the Contemporary at Walt Disney World, guests aren’t able to board here but some of the guests with courtyard views can watch the monorail whizzing right past your guest rooms also making you feel like you’re are in the heart of it all.
7. The Grand Hall – From the moment you arrive and enter into the 6-story Grand Hall, you’ll realize that you’ve arrived someplace truly special. The 65-foot tall lobby area was constructed to give guests the feeling that you are strolling through a redwood forest. The giant wooden beams mimic the trees while lantern and beams the branches. Scattered about the lobby are cute little seating areas where families can gather under the grand canopy of the lobby to relax into or unwind from your theme park days.
8 Chip ‘n’ Dale Critter Breakfast – Guests at the Grand Californian get to start your Disney days with character dining at Storyteller’s Cafe. Each morning the restaurant plays host to Chip ‘n’ Dale, Brother Bears Kenai and Koda, Meeko, Brer Fox and more. The food is a delicious all-you-care-to-enjoy breakfast buffet featuring popular breakfast fare like made-to-order omelettes, Mickey Waffles, fresh baked goods and seasonal fruit. It is a perfect and fun way to fuel up before heading to the parks. A brunch buffet is also offered most weekends and on public holidays. Reservations are recommended and can be made 60 days out at the Disneyland website.
These are just many of the amazing reasons why when it comes to staying onsite, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel comes out tops in our book. Those interested in making a stay at the Grand Californian part of your 2018 vacation plans should read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking your next Disney holiday with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you plot out your perfect holiday, work with you to come up with unique ways to make your vacation truly your own, and ensure that you are always getting the best deals and discounts. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019