So far 2017 is shaping up to be a big year when it comes to giving some of Disney World’s 25 resorts some much-needed TLC. When booking your next Disney vacation, its good to keep tabs on areas where you might find a bit of construction or resorts that are boasting brand new features! Here’s our list of 8 exciting changes coming to some of Disney’s resort properties in 2017.
1. Pop Century – Visitors lucky enough to get one of the newly refurbishment rooms at Disney’s Pop Century Resort are in for a real surprise. Gone is the worn out carpet which has been replaced with laminate flooring, the bathrooms now have a cleaner brighter look and the rooms now feature one queen sized bed and a pull down double bed (similar to the ones guests have fallen in love with over at Art of Animation). Other minor renovations are currently taking place at the resort but there is little impact on the visitor experience with pools and eateries remaining open.
2. Art of Animation – It’s been 5 years since Disney’s newest Value Resort opened its doors to the public which means its time for a clean lick of paint and other small refurbishments. Starting in April, Disney announced that some refurb projects would take place at the resort throughout 2017. During this time everything is expected to stay fully operational including pools, dining, merchandise and recreation locations. Construction starts at 9:00am with the goal of completing work before dusk so as to cause minimal disruption.
3. Disney’s Boardwalk Villas – Those staying in a studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom villa at Boardwalk may notice some minor construction going on during the day. Construction is limited between 9am and dusk so as to provide minimal disruption.
4. Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts – The big news for guests staying over at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club properties is that Captain’s Grill is closed for a refurbishment and is not slated to re-open until September. In the meantime, at Ariel’s at Disney’s Beach Club resort is serving up Captain’s Grill signature dishes. The Ale and Compass Lounge is also closed as is Fittings & Fairings Clothes and Notions until July 17th. The property is also expanding its Convention Center which may result in some residual noise with the project not expecting to be completed until February of 2018.
5. Coronado Springs Resort – One of the properties undergoing the largest refurbishment this year is Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. The property is really going from strength to strength with the construction of a 15-story tower that will add 500 more guest rooms to the property. The tower will also include a rooftop restaurant offering amazing fireworks views. In addition the landscape of the property will be transformed with floating gardens and an island oasis that connects the resorts through a series of bridges. Coronado is also expanding its convention center with construction taking place in and around the Casitas area.
6. Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – The refurbishments to this Moderate property are so massive that Disney offered compensation earlier in the year to guests opting to keep their reservations here. As construction plans currently stand the Martinique and Barbados sections of the resort are currently unavailable. In addition the Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale and Banana Cabana Pool and bar will be closed. There will be Coco Cola machines located throughout the resorts for guests to refill their Dining Plan mugs, as well as grab-n-go food available in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique areas of the resort. A new quick service location will open near Trinidad Island this Summer. Pools will remain open throughout the renovation. What may seem like a massive inconvenience to guests staying here this year will be worth it as the refurbishment will bring waterfront shopping and dining to the property.
7. Copper Creek Villas & Cabins – Copper Creek Villas and Cabins will officially open to guests starting July 17th and those lucky enough to stay at this incredible DVC property are in for a treat! The Copper Creek houses a selection of Deluxe Studios, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom villas and 26 luxury cabins that sit on the resorts waterfront. With theming in keeping with the Pacific Northwest vibe of neighboring hotel Wilderness Lodge, the hotel is furnished with railroad relics, beautiful rustic furniture and textiles with a Native American theme. In addition to the villas themselves, the property also includes the Railroad-themed Boulder Ridge Cove pool area as well as Geyser Point Bar & Grill which offers an amazing array of one-the-go and quick service items and outdoor seating with fabulous water views.
8. Make Way for Gondolas – As we announced earlier this year over at our sister site Chip and Co, Disney is going to be introducing a new form of transportation that may even rival the much-loved monorail. Construction is currently underway for a gondola system. The project is slated to create three lines between Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Caribbean Beach Resort, Pop Century and Art of Animation offering a speedy lift to and from the theme parks. When I booked a reservation for a client at Pop Century earlier this week I was reminded by a helpful Cast Member that construction could now be heard in and around these resort areas however most of the work is being carried out during the day so as to offer minimal disruption to visitors.
With all of the exciting changes taking place at Walt Disney World’s resort properties coupled with the recent opening of Pandora – The World of Avatar, 2017 is shaping up to be a fantastic year for Disney World! Keep following along for the latest Walt Disney World Resort news and updates!
Planning a visit to Disney World? Get a FREE quote by filling out the form below.
Looking to book for 2018? Why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I will be on the lookout to make sure you are always getting the best discounts available. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. You would pay the same as if you were to book directly with Disney. Get in touch toll free at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019