Its been a busy month over at Disney Parks Blog, where folks at Disney have been counting down the 12-days of Christmas with exciting new sneak peeks of what’s happening across globe at Disney’s amazing theme parks. For those out of the loop, don’t worry, we decided to pull all of these exciting new stories and details together in one great article.
1. New Details Emerge for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Expansions – Disney World & Disneyland – (pictured) – With the opening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi earlier this week Star Wars fever has definitely hit. That’s why we’re over the moon that Disney has released a few more exciting details about the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge expansions that will be coming to both Disney World’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland. During a Star Wars: Galactic Nights panel held at Walt Disney World over the weekend, Imagineers revealed that as part of the new Millennium Falcon attraction guests will get to climb through the hatch, walk through her hallways and sit inside the cockpit where you will actually be given an opportunity to fly her yourself. Other additions to this new land will include a fleet of full-size X-wing starfighters as well an exotic marketplace modelled on the amazing markets of Istanbul and Marrakech where guests can purchase souvenirs, toys and other marketplace items that will look hand-crafted by local artisans.
2. Disney Reveals Details of Upgraded Incredicoaster Coming to Paradise Pier – Disneyland- Next Spring/Summer will mark a period of massive changes to the Paradise Pier Area of Disneyland Resort which will be refashioned as Pixar Pie. A highlight of this re-themed area at Disney California Adventure Park will be the Incredicaster- a new experience featuring characters from “The Incredibles.” The ride will utilize a delightful combination of character figures, lighting and special effects to make the attraction spring to life as the Parr family races alongside your family in an attempt to catch baby Jack-Jack.
Disney released a video giving more details about the project. Check it out:
3. Updates to Pixar Play Parade – Disneyland – Here’s one for all you fans of the West Coast Mouse. Disney’s Pixar Play Parade will be returning on April 13, 2018, as part of a limited-time Pixar Fest celebration. The parade will be updated to feature even more of your much-loved Pixar friends including the iconic Pixar Lamp, Pixar Ball and characters from the films “Up” and “Inside Out.” Guests can find out more about the hotly anticipated celebration of all things Pixar by visiting disneyland.com.
4. Transformation Details Released for Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – Walt Disney World – Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is undergoing a massive renovation and Disney shared the exciting details. The first major changes are that Disney’s Old Port Royale will be re-imagined as the primary port-of-entry where guests will check-in before embarking on their vacation. The central location will also offer a Centertown Market food court, Shutters Restaurant offering waterfront dining and beautiful views and Banana Cabana an outdoor bar and lounge. There will also be Calypso Trading Post where guests can stock up on souvenirs and treats. Check out this article for some amazing renderings of how Caribbean Beach will look post-renovation.
5. California Adventure Food & Wine Festival Expands to 6 Weeks in 2018 – Disneyland – Calling all Disneyland Foodies! Disney announced last week that Disney’s California Adventure Food & Wine Festival will be back next year for a whopping 6 weeks. The fun kicks off on March 2 and will run through April 12, 2018. The event will bring delicious cuisine, speciality beverages and exciting entertainment to the theme park for a third straight season. Highlights of the event include over 12 Festival Marketplaces with a focus on California-inspired food and drink, seminars and workshops with leading celebrity chefs such as Robert Irvine and Alex Guarnaschelli, winemaker dinners, live music, entertainment and so much more. In addition, there will be a handful of special VIP signature events including the Disney Family of Wines dinner and returning favorites like Sweet Sundays and Winemaker and Brewmaster Dinners. For tiny visitors, there’s also a Junior Chef experience with lots of hands-on fun led by Chef Goofy and designed for kids from 3-11.
6. Toy Story Land to Open at Shanghai Disney on April 26th – Shanghai Disneyland – With so much attention focused on the Toy Story Land coming to Walt Disney World, Disney fans have taken little note of the amazing Toy Story expansion happening on the other side of the pond. Toy Story Land will be opening in China on April 26th and we are more than just a little jealous. This new area of the park will give guests the feeling that they’ve been shrunken down to the size of Andy’s toys and offers a delightful range of fun attractions including the Slinky Dog Spin, Rex’s Racers inspired by everyone’s favorite T-Rex (pictured above) as well as Woody’s Round-Up where a heard of ponies lassoed by Woody himself will swing you around in their carts. In addition, there’s the Toy Box Cafe an eatery designed to look like the packing boxes from Mr and Mrs Potato Head and Lotso the Hugging Bear and a shop dubbed Al’s Toy Barn. This is definitely an event we’ll be paying close attention to in 2018.
7. Disney Releases New Details of Skyliner System – Walt Disney World – Monorail move over! There’s a new mode of Disney Transportation in development at Walt Disney World. The Skyliner Gondola system is currently being designed to connect Disney’s Pop Century, Art of Animation and Caribbean Beach Resort with both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Guests will board a colorful cable car adorned with iconic Disney characters as you are ushered to your destination while enjoying picturesque aerial views. There will be a station at Epcot’s International Gateway which is being fashioned in a style in keeping with the architecture of the pavilions. A new station erected at Hollywood Studio’s will also be designed to match the vintage aesthetic. Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will serve as the system’s hub where guests can transfer to their destination of choice or enjoy waterfront dining and beautiful views at the newly renovated resort. For more information as well as renderings of the new stations check out this article.
8. Hong Kong Disneyland To Get a New Castle – Hong Kong – It is an exciting time for Hong Kong Disneyland visitors as the park makes way for a new castle. The classic castle will draw inspiration from a variety of storybook influences, and styles and will feature new thematic spires, domes and designs that reach for the sky. The features on the facade will be inspired by many of Disney’s princesses with Snow White’s apple, Cinderella’s coach and Belle’s rose all making an appearance. With the construction will come an all-new Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique where tiny travellers can undergo a magical Princess transformation. Plans also include a new daytime show and nighttime spectacular. Work on this new Disney icon will take place staring on January 1, 2018.
9. New Premium Moana Now On Offer at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa – Hawaii – Visitors to Disney’s magical Hawaiian retreat Aulani are in for a special treat as the resort has just introduced a new experience featuring much-loved Moana. During “Kakamora Chaos with Moana”, guests can team up with Moana to learn more about these mischievous creatures especially the games they play. The 90-minute interactive experience will give young guests a chance to learn and play games from Hawai’i as well as a special game from Moana’s home in a Kakamora Relay. In addition, Moana joins beloved storyteller “Uncle” as they share their love of canoeing during Kahakai Canoe Racing as well as sharing stories around the fire in Mo’olelo Firepit Storytelling. Finally, Moana also makes an appearance during the resort’s KA WA‘A lū‘au. The premium Moana experience can be booked for an additional charge by calling 808.674.6200.
10. Broadway Line-up Announced for the 2018 Epcot International Festival of the Arts – Walt Disney World – The Epcot International Festival of the Arts will be returning for a second year with a celebration of the visual, performing and culinary arts. As part of the Festival which runs from January 12 – February 19, guests will be able to enjoy an amazing array of Broadway performances happening each weekend from Fridays – Mondays. These concerts are a “Who’s Who” of leading Broadway talent. Here’s a look at the performers that will be on hand to awe visitors during this year’s festival.
- January 12-15 and 19-22: Kara Lindsay (NEW!) and Kevin Massey, who will perform songs from “Tarzan,” “Aladdin,” “Newsies” and “Frozen.”
- January 26-29 and February 2-5: Kissy Simmons and Alton Fitzgerald White, who will perform songs from “Tarzan,” “The Lion King,” “Aida,” “Aladdin,” and “The Little Mermaid.”
- February 9-12 and 16-19: Ashley Brown and Josh Strickland, who will perform songs from “Beauty and the Beast,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Tarzan,” “Mary Poppins,” “Newsies” and “Frozen.”
Best of all, Broadway shows are included in them park admission with three performances Fridays through Monday’s at 5:30pm, 6:45pm and 8pm.
11. Animal Kingdom to Get New “Up”- inspired Stage Show – Walt Disney World – Disney announced this week that Animal Kingdom will be getting a brand new stage show in the Spring of 2018 featuring Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “UP.” As part of Animal Kingdom’s 20th Anniversary celebrations, this new show will give visitors the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world at Caravan Theater in Anandapur village. This show will be replacing Flights of Wonder which will finish it’s run on December 31, 2017.
12. Disney Expands Star Wars Day at Sea Offerings – Disney Crusie Line – The force is strong with Disney Cruise Line as they unveiled an out-of-this-world array of new offerings taking place during Star Wars Day at Sea which is included on the itineraries of several sailings between January and April 2018. These include an imperial takeover by Darth Vader and Stormtroppers, Jedi Training Academy where young padawans can square off against Kylo Ren, a nighttime “Summon the Force” deck party with Rey and a scavenger hunt featuring the lovable Porgs. In addition, the Buena Vista theatre will screen the Star Wars films culminating in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Disney Cruise Line will also offer new character meet and greets featuring C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca and Darth Vader. Itineraries are currently available to book through 2018 so be sure to reach read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote for these special Star Wars sailings.
13. New Details Released for Disney’s Springs Latest Restaurant Terralina Crafted Italian – Walt Disney World – The opening of Terralina Crafted Italian in Early 2018 already has tongues wagging and Disney shared some of the details surrounding this amazing eatery with readers earlier this week. The restaurant will evoke the feeling of being in the Northern Italy Lake District with beautiful open spaces and delectable authentic Northern Italian specialities. The restaurant will feature an open rotunda, a rustic stone fireplace, an outdoor patio and a verandah bar that spills out onto the Disney Springs promenade and offers beautiful views of Lake Buena Vista. Guests entering the eatery will also notice a herb garden outside the front doors giving a nod to the delicious flavors you’ll encounter inside. Terralina has yet to release the details of its menu but with James Beard-Award Winning Chef Tony Mantuano heading the charge, we’re sure it will be awe-inspiring.
14. Disney Releases More Details Regarding Disneyland’s April Pixar Fest Celebration – Disneyland – Staring on April 13th, Disneyland will kick off a celebration of all things Pixar during Pixar Fest. This limited-time celebration of friendship and beyond will feature the debut of a new fireworks spectacular and the return of two favorite parades as well as new character meet and greets, entertainment, themed food and drink and so much more. “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular will light up Disneyland with its delightful blend of pyrotechnics and music taking guests through vignettes that show how many of the Pixar characters first met. The Popular “Paint the Night” parade will also be making a comeback featuring characters from “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.” and “Cars.” In addition, the “Pixar Play Parade” will make its way through Disneyland park for the first time. The parade will begin as most Pixar films have, with an appearance by the iconic and adorable Pixar lamp and will feature characters from “UP” and “Inside Out.” There will also be a Pixar Short Film Festival and new Pixar-themed musical troupe.
These are just some of the many delightful happenings taking place across Disney’s Parks in the year ahead. Guests are encouraged to keep following along with Disney Addicts and our sister site Chip and Co. for the latest in Disney news and updates.
Thinking about a Disney visit in 2018? Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney
Latest posts by Disney Addicts Past Writers and Friends (see all)
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019