When it comes to anniversary celebrations, it’s no secret that Walt Disney World Resort pulls out all the stops. Some of us even remember the giant “birthday cake castle” created over Cinderella Castle for the 25th-anniversary celebration. We can expect that the highly anticipated 50th-anniversary celebrations will be the most spectacular yet! While many of the exciting new attractions and experiences have been confirmed by Disney, there are also multiple rumors going around of what Disney may have up their sleeve. Let’s take a look at some of the rumors.
When Will the Festivities Begin?- Rumors have been circulating that Disney would like to start the celebrations as early as May 2021, which likely will depend on the state of current affairs and Covid 19 restrictions. There is also a good chance that due to limited capacity and restrictions, the festivities may not start until closer to the actual anniversary date, October 1, 2021. We have heard that the anniversary could last up to 18 months!
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure- While this new dark ride attraction in EPCOT’s France Pavilion was originally set to open in summer 2020, it has been pushed back to 2021. Rumors are circulating that the attraction could open around March 2021, or even sooner!
- Tron Lightcycle Run- Construction is well underway on this exciting and thrilling new roller coaster opening in Tomorrowland at Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park. While we aren’t completely sure on an exact opening date, we believe that the attraction will open within the 18-month anniversary celebration timeline.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind- While this attraction may not come until the end of the celebrations, likely in 2022, we are still so excited about it. This Marvel-themed roller coaster will be featured in EPCOT, and will be the first Marvel-themed ride for Disney World.
- Tomorrowland Speedway- It has been rumored that this classic attraction will be receiving a makeover, possibly even with a TRON inspired theme to match with the new TRON Lightcycle run rollercoaster.
- Hollywood Studios Attractions- We are expecting Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to be a part of the enhanced celebrations for the 50th anniversary.
- The Festival of Fantasy Parade- We all have high hopes that The Festival of Fantasy Parade will be able to resume at Disney’s Magic Kingdom in 2021. We are hoping to see some special floats and characters featured for the anniversary.
- Harmonious- Harmonious will be EPCOT’s new nighttime extravaganza. Harmonious was set to debut in 2020, but with the suspension of all fireworks shows to ensure social distancing, it has been pushed back. We can not wait to see Harmonious light up the night sky!
- A Brand New Fireworks Show- Although only a rumor, we do expect to see a whole new fireworks show debuting at Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park. We can expect many surprises such as lots of our favorite characters, new music, and plenty of nods to the past during this new celebratory show!
Other Exciting Things Coming-
- Special dining experiences- We can expect special menus and dining experiences to be offered throughout Walt Disney World Resort during the celebration. New restaurants such as the Toy Story Backyard BBQ at Hollywood Studios and Space 220 at EPCOT are also set to open.
- Disney Play Pavilion- The new Disney Play Pavilion at Disney’s EPCOT park will help to bring a more “Disney” feel to EPCOT by incorporating new character-filled experiences with the use of technology. We hope to see the pavilion open in 2021.
- Star Wars: Galactic Cruiser- This long-awaited Hotel experience will be a completely unique and immersive experience for guests, transporting them into a galaxy far, far away for 2 days and 2 nights. We expect to see this hotel opening for guest experiences sometime in 2021.
We certainly have so much to look forward to in 2021! One thing is absolutely certain, Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary celebration is going to be epic!
- Here’s the Full Scoop on EPCOT’s 2020 International Festival of the Holidays - December 2, 2020
- Character Meets Can Still be Special, Even When Socially Distanced - November 30, 2020
- Disney Chefs Share Thanksgiving Day Turkey Tips - November 25, 2020