Did you know that June 9th is Donald Ducks’ birthday? The beloved Duck made his first appearance in “The Wise Little Hen” but he would appear as the angry, sassy duck we know and love today until his second appearance in “The Orphans Benefit”.
Check out the following facts and learn everything you can about this sailor-clad duck!
- A Debatable Birthday
- Did you know that June 9th is not Donald Ducks’ only birthday? In this 1944 film, “The Three Caballeros“, Donald gets presents for his birthday – which falls on Friday the 13th! In a 1949 film called “Donald’s Happy Birthday”, Donald’s birthday is noted as March 13th. But since his first appearance was on June 9th, his true blue birthday was settled upon!
- The Perfect Temper
- Is Mickey Mouse seeming a bit wholesome for you? That’s okay! Part of the reason Donald Duck became the character he is today was to bestow some of the more… edgier feelings that couldn’t be given to everyone’s favorite Mouse.
- Partners for 50 Years
- The Original Voice of Donald Duck was Clarence Nash who voiced our favorite Duck until 1985. The famous voice actor developed a unique technique that forced air through the mouth using cheek muscles as opposed to simply through the lungs.
- What’s in a Middle Name
- Donald Duck fans will know that Donalds’ middle name is Fauntleroy. He is the only major Disney character with a middle name!
- An Oscar Winner
- In 1943, the animated short, “Der Feuhrer’s Face” won the Academy Award. Before a change of title, the short was originally supposed to be named “Donald Duck in NutziLand“. Don’t worry, who better to take on Hitler than Donald Duck!
- A True STAR
- Heading to the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Look out for Donald Ducks’ name and pay homage to the star that he is!
Whether you knew every fact or you learned something new, take time today to celebrate this cantankerous duck by watching some of his many many hits. Also, be sure to check out his nephews in the new and old animated Ducktails – which of course wouldn’t have been possible without their uncle!
Happy Birthday, Donald!
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!