The Epcot International Festival of the Arts will be returning for its second year starting on January 12 – February 19, 2018. Last year the Festival which celebrates the visual, performing and culinary arts offered weekend guests an amazing array of exhibitions, concerts, stage shows, culinary demonstrations, food booths, workshops and seminars covering an eclectic range of topics.
This year the Festival is back bigger and better than ever and running 7-days a week providing guests with even more opportunity to join in on the creativity. To give you a taste of the ways that you can unleash your inner artist, here’s a fun list of 10 must-try workshops and seminars.
1. Art of Topiaries – For those who have wondered exactly how Disney creates the amazing topiaries found at Epcot (especially during the annual Flower and Garden Festival) this is the offering for you. During this seminar Disney’s incredibly talent horticulture team gives guests some insights into how they construct these amazing sculptures. You may even learn a thing or two to try at home.
2. Phone Cam Photography – With the advent of the Smartphone we each come to Disney with everything we need to capture some amazing snaps. This photography session from Disney Photo Imaging will teach visitors how to maximize the capabilities of your phone’s cameras and enhance your photo-taking skills. Lighting and color adjustment, taking High Dynamic Range photos, time lapse and photo editing are just some of the topics covered during this informative session.
3. Watermelon Sculpture – Wow your friends during your next backyard BBQ with the techniques learned in this culinary workshop. Watch as a watermelon is artfully carved all while learning helpful tips and tricks to use on your own. The seminar will be hosted by the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
4. Handwritten Typography – Show of your handiwork after this workshop run by a Walt Disney World Resort creative service manager. During the session guests will learn how to draw your own hand-drawn typography to create personalized gifts and cards.
5. Magic With Water – Ever wonder how professional photographers make their water shots look so breathtaking? During this workshop the Disney Photo Imaging Team will share tips and tricks for taking great photos around water including swimming pools, fountains, waterfalls and even in the rain. Techniques discussed will include camera settings, lenses and how to find the perfect location.
6. Animated Flip Books – Watch your drawings come to life in this 101 session where you’ll have the opportunity to create your own Flip Book while learning the principals of animation with one of Disney’s talented animators.
7. Storytelling Drawings – Learn how to tell a story in a single drawing during this insightful workshop. A Disney animator will share the art of quick sketching from life. During this session, visitors will learn about gesture drawing of people which is a foundational practice for animators, storyboard artists and directors.
8. Food Styling 101 – If you love taking pictures of food or sharing your culinary finds on Instagram then this is the workshop for you. The session looks at the basics of what goes into making a food photo. Lessons include going from ingredients to a beautiful finishing shot, sharing food-styling tips and tricks and learning how to make your own culinary photography stand out.
9. Handcrafted Calligraphy – Learn the basics of pointed pen calligraphy in this hands-on workshop. Guests will be schooled in the techniques of how to hold your oblique pen, letter formation, common issues you may run into and how you can put your new skills to good use.
10. Inspiring Floral – The amazing floral displays that can be found throughout Disney’s theme parks and resorts are nothing short of awe-inspiring. During this workshop, you can learn directly from Disney Floral Designers, as they share floral design tricks of the trade and walk you through some Disney-inspired creations to help you bring the magic of Disney to your home and garden.
This is merely a taste of the many amazing activities you’ll find at the upcoming 2018 Epcot International Festival of the Arts. To find out more about the Festival visit disneyworld.com.
To find out more or to book any of the fantastic workshops or seminars listed above contact Disney at 407.WDW.TOUR.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from booking your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get Dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019