If you’re new to cruising with Disney, a huge highlight of both Bahamian and Caribbean itineraries is the stop made at Disney’s private island Castaway Cay. This island, exclusively for the use of Disney Cruise Line guests, is a tropical paradise with white sandy beaches, private cabanas, water play areas and boasts a ton of fantastic activities. In fact, there is so much on offer at Castaway Cay that it’s hard to keep up with it all. That’s why we decided to compile this list of 8 fun things you may not have known about Castaway Cay!
1. Food and beverage on the island are included in your cruise fare. This is one that seems to surprise a lot of first-time cruisers. Disney has a few eateries at Castaway Cay. Here you’ll find Cookies BBQ and Cookies Too BBQ and another BBQ spot on Serenity Bay. Guests can head to these locations, stock up on delicious eats and it doesn’t cost a thing! Its one of the many ways Disney makes you feel extra pampered on your cruise. Guests should note however that there is a charge for alcoholic beverages.
2. Your Key to the World Card works on the island. All guests cruising with Disney are given a Key to the World Card. This functions a little bit like a MagicBand (for those Walt Disney World visitors that are considering cruising for the first time.) You can use them on board to pay for souvenirs and other items not covered under the cruise. But when you dock, don’t leave these cards behind as you can also use them while at Castaway Cay making purchasing on the island super convenient.
3. You can run a 5K any time of the year. For those who missed the runDisney races or are just looking for a fun way to exercise while on the island, you can sign up for the Castaway Cay 5K. This wildly popular offering provides a family-friendly, non-competitive 3.1-mile jaunt around Disney’s magnificent island. Though the race isn’t timed, everyone who completes the 5K gets a medal as a keepsake. For more details on the race including how to sign up, check out this article.
4. You’ll find characters around every corner. While at Castaway Cay, you’re never too far away from the Disney magic. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and friends can be found scattered about the island and are happy to pose for photographs or sign an autograph or two. Be on the lookout for them in high traffic areas. Half the fun of being at Castaway Cay is seeing how many Disney pals you can bump in to.
5. There’s a special “Adults Only” beach. Serenity Bay is an absolute haven for adults cruising with Disney that want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the more high traffic family-friendly areas. On Serenity Bay, guests can do everything from indulging in an early morning yoga class to renting a cabana or having a massage. Or for those who prefer a slower pace, there’s ample room to find your perfect spot and lounge in the sun! You’ll be amazed at how quiet and secluded this area feels.
6. There is a Post Office on the island. How cool is the thought of sending out a postcard from Disney’s secluded tropical paradise? You can do it at Castaway Cay. There is an official Bahamian Post Office located directly on the island. Pick up a postcard and mail it out to a loved one and they’ll receive an official Castaway Cay postmark!
7. It’s the only place to get exclusive Castaway Cay souvenirs. If you’re looking for that special item to remember your time at Castaway Cay, you’ll want to get it while on the island. Head on over to Castaway Keepsakes for special themed merchandise. And just like at Walt Disney World, if you don’t feel like lugging around your purchases all day, you can opt to have them sent up to the ship for you!
8. You can tour the island by bike. For those that are up for it, one of the best ways to enjoy Castaway Cay is by bike. This 1,000-acre island has amazing bicycle trails allowing you to venture off-the-beaten-path to explore the sights and sounds of this amazing island retreat. Just be on the lookout for the Bike Rentals stand when arriving on the island to pick up your bike. You can ride along the island’s airstrip, take your pick between 2 nature trails and even climb a secluded observation tower for amazing panoramic views of the island.
So what are you waiting for? Make your next family vacation a Disney Cruise and take advantage of all that this amazing island has to offer. We’ve only skimmed the service when it comes to fantastic adventures that you can have at Castaway Cay. Come and see for yourself!
Thinking about a Disney Cruise? Click here for your FREE no obligation quote or fill out the form at the bottom of this page!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect stateroom to nabbing those hard-to getting the most out of your time at sea. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- 13 Seasonal Shots You’ll Want to Be Sure to Capture During Your Halloween Disneyland Visit - September 26, 2018
- Its Discount Day! Disney Releases Play, Stay and Dine and Room Discount Offer for Early 2019 - September 26, 2018
- Fall-Flavored Treats You Have to Try at Downtown Disney in Disneyland Resort - September 25, 2018