April showers bring … a magical Disneyland Vacation!
When people think of California they think sunshine. Yes, the majority of the days are sunny, but it does rain in the Happiest Place on Earth! Disneyland sees the majority of their rain in December, January, and February, but rain has been known to trickle down into May.
Don’t let the rain get in the way of your magical Disneyland vacation; the rainy days have been some of our best days at Disneyland!
First, we will talk about why you will love a rainy day in Disneyland, then, what to wear and what to pack for the rain, and lastly where you can go to escape the rain.
4 Reasons Why You will LOVE Disneyland in the Rain
- Now is the perfect opportunity to ride the water rides; you are already wet! Ponchos really come in handy on Splash Mountain!
- Disney characters are still out and engaging with guests even in wet weather. Tinkerbell was even on the wet ground with my daughter!
- The crowds are much lower when it is raining. Much of the Disneyland crowds are from local residents and they tend to stay home when rain is in the forecast.
- You can still ride (most) the rides and even enjoy ice cream in the rain!
My Top 6 Rainy Day Items to Pack for Disneyland
- Ponchos: They are less expensive to bring from home, but they are sold throughout the parks. The ones from the parks are good quality with the Disney logo on the back. We bought ours on our first rainy trip to Disneyland and now we bring them each time we visit. Also, by bringing a poncho there is no need for an umbrella! You can also bring from home a poncho for your stroller (they do not sell these in the park). Make sure to also pack the right size stroller to comply with their new policy.
- Multiple pairs of shoes: Rainboots would be best, but sometimes those can be uncomfortable. When packing footwear, remember you will be doing a lot of walking even if it’s raining. We usually bring two pairs of tennis shoes. We use the hair dryer in the hotel to dry out one pair while we wear the other. Also, bring extra socks!
- Hat: It helps keep your head dry and if your hair does get wet, you can hide it!
- Layers & a backpack: The weather in Anaheim can change dramatically on the same day. You will want to be able to take off those ponchos and jackets and have a place to put them.
- Jackets with hoods: We usually go in January and February, which are colder months. We like having the warmth of a winter jacket with a hood. You can also do raincoats, but some are not warm enough. Double check the weather forecast. Sometimes rain will be predicted but still, have relatively mild temperatures.
- Last but not least, make sure to pack a positive attitude! You can and will have the most magical Disneyland vacation even in the rain. Just make sure to be prepared!
Best Rides, Attractions, and Dining to Escape the Rain
Rain offers the perfect opportunity to slow down and enjoy areas of the parks you may have not seen before.
Main Street, U.S.A.:
- The Opera House which is home to The Disneyland Story, Presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Disney Gallery.
- Most of the shops that line Main Street, U.S.Aconnect allowing you to walk inside from one end to the other
- Indoor restaurants: Plaza Inn and the Carnation Café
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Pixar Shorts Film Festival at Tomorrowland Theater
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Indoor restaurant: Alien Pizza Planet
- Fantasy Faire (live stage show)
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-through
- Peter Pan’s Flight, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Snow White’s Scary Adventure, and Pinocchio’s Daring Journey all have covers over most of the ques, the rides are indoors and it is a quick dash from one to the next.
- Indoor restaurant: Red Rose Tavern
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Minnie’s House
- Mickey’s House and Meet Mickey
- Golden Horseshoe Saloon (performance)
- Indoor restaurant: Golden Horseshoe
New Orleans Square:
- Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion, both of the queues for these rides are outside, but they move fast and the rides are all inside
- Indoor restaurants: Blue Bayou (make sure to get a reservation) and Café Orleans
- Splash Mountain (wear your poncho)
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
California Adventure Park
Buena Vista Street:
- All of the shops down Buena Vista Street (most connect)
- Indoor restaurants: Carthay Circle Restaurant, Fiddler and Fifer & Practical Café (stop in and get your Starbucks)
- Monsters, Inc. – Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!
- Disney Animation (Animation Academy, Sorcerer’s Workshops, Turtle Talk with Crush)
- Frozen – Live at the Hyperion
- Indoor restaurant: Flo’s V8 Cafe
- The Bakery Tour, hosted by Boudin Bakery
- Outdoor Seating (but covered): Ghiradelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop
- Toy Story Midway Mania!
- Indoor restaurant: Lamplight Lounge
Paradise Gardens Park:
- The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
- Grizzle River Run (you’re already wet! Wear your poncho)
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Indoor restaurant: Smokejumpers Grill
Rides and/or attractions that may close during the rain
Main street vehicles, Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party, Gadget’s Go Coaster, Autopia, Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Silly Symphony Swings, Parades, and Fireworks.
Last Piece of Advice for your Rainy Day in Disneyland
If there is rain, don’t leave the park! That’s what everyone else does! The weather can change in a matter of minutes in Anaheim.
Both of these pictures where taken on the same day. The first one we were cold and wet on the Storybook Land boat ride and the second one was about two hours later in Toon Town.
With a little preplanning, you will have a magical vacation even in the rain!
Let’s book your magical vacation today! As an agent with Key to the World Travel, I can help you with everything from Disney Destinations, a cruise, a beach getaway or even a trip to Europe. Contact me today for your free, no-obligation quote at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow me on Facebook to hear about the latest Disney updates and travel tips! Or, you can fill out and submit the form below. I look forward to helping you plan the most magical vacation for you and your family.
Latest posts by Disney Addicts Past Writers and Friends (see all)
- What Happens to my Reservation if Disney Prices Increase? - January 8, 2020
- Are There any Buffet Character Dining Experiences at Disney World? - December 30, 2019
- When is the best time to book my flights? - June 18, 2019