When it comes to staying onsite at Deluxe or Deluxe Villa Resort, many guests opt for the resorts that offer close proximity to Magic Kingdom or Epcot or border on the exotic like Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. As a result, guests often overlook the original DVC property Old Key West Resort which in my opinion is one of Walt Disney World’s hidden gems. You don’t need to be a timeshare member to enjoy the lush surroundings and tropical elegance of this amazing resort and with such much to love, we think its definitely worth considering during your next visit to the Mouse. Here are 8 reasons why we love Old Key West so much and why we think you’ll fall in love with it too!
1. The Size of the Rooms – As the original prototype for all of the DVC villas that are springing up all over Disney, this resort has one massive thing going for it and that is the sheer size of its villa properties. With one bedroom villas coming in at 942 sq ft. and 2 bedroom villas at a staggering 1,333 sq feet, you’ll be hard-pressed to find more sizable accommodation at a Walt Disney World resort. The villas are also filled with delightful amenities like full kitchens, jacuzzi baths in the master suite and a washer and dry making it the perfect home away from home. As a matter of fact, we guarantee that you’ll be so relaxed here that you’ll never want to leave.
2. Gurgling Suitcase – As delightful as a watering hole can possibly get, what this tiny bar lacks in size, it certainly makes up for in charm. There are cocktails like the Captains Mai Tai with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Bols, Amaretto, and Tropical Juices topped with a float of Myer’s Original Dark Rum or Olivia’s Strawberry Lemonade featuring: Patrón Silver Tequila, fresh Key Lime juice, Strawberry, and Odwalla® Lemonade which are perfect for strolling. Or, why not try some tasty grub? The Conch Fries featuring key-lime mustard and Remoulade is a fan favorite as is the Gurgling Burger with toppings that include fried green tomatoes, crab salad and tomato jam.
3. DVC Ferry to Disney Springs – The perfect little perk for those looking to spend an afternoon shopping or an evening on the town, Old Key West offers a regular service to Disney Springs that will whisk clients away to Disney’s downtown shopping district. The service is offered daily from 10:30am-11: 30 pm with boats departing around every 20 minutes.
4. Terrific Activities at Conch Community Hall – The whole resort has almost a country club or gated community vibe and one of the massive perks of staying in this little village is the extra activities that you’ll find taking place each day. Designing your own coaster set, making character wreaths, creating autograph books and customizing your own tote bags are just some of the fun activities you can get involved in. The Community Hall is open Daily from 9:00am – 10:00 pm. Additional fees may apply for activities.
5. The Sandcastle Pool Area – There are four swimming pools on Old Key West property but our favorite is the main clubhouse pool. Not only does it have a 125 ft. waterslide that meanders its way through a sandcastle, it also has one of the few saunas found on Walt Disney World property which sits in the base of the Resorts iconic lighthouse. The tropical vibe of the main pool area will have you feeling relaxed in no time.
6. Beautiful Surroundings – Every time I visit Disney’s Old Key West Resort, I am absolutely blown away by how beautiful the property really is. The minute you step off the Magical Express bus you’re overcome with the smells of the fragrant flowers blooming near the entrance. The rest of the grounds are lush, green and vibrant with towering palm trees and beautiful landscaping. The music sets the perfect laid-back island tone and the Cast Members make you feel right at home. All of these elements combine to create a magical little piece of paradise right in the heart of Walt Disney World.
7. Recreational Activities. Old Key West is the perfect property for families that have the odd day away from the theme parks to really take advantage of everything a Walt Disney World resort has to offer. Guests can peddle around the property behind the wheel of their very own surrey bike, head to the tennis courts, play a game of basketball or shuffleboard. There’s even a Health Club located next to the Community Hall for those wanting a workout before heading to the parks. For the Golf aficionados in the group, Lake Buena Vista Golf Course also goes directly through the property.
8. The Cost. For all of the reasons listed above, you would think that when it comes to Disney’s Deluxe Villas, Old Key West would come in more on the pricier side but this could be further from the truth. Old Key West and Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort are typically the most affordable villas at Walt Disney World. This little slice of heaven can usually be yours for a fraction of what it would cost to stay at some of Disney’s other properties make all of these fantastic perks seem that much sweeter!
Thinking about a visit to Disney? Click here for your FREE no obligation quote or fill out the form at the bottom of this page!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to sharing tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your time at the parks. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney
Latest posts by Melissa Roden (see all)
- 13 Seasonal Shots You’ll Want to Be Sure to Capture During Your Halloween Disneyland Visit - September 26, 2018
- Its Discount Day! Disney Releases Play, Stay and Dine and Room Discount Offer for Early 2019 - September 26, 2018
- Fall-Flavored Treats You Have to Try at Downtown Disney in Disneyland Resort - September 25, 2018