If you are like me and many other Disney fans one of the top things you are missing right now is the food. So why not learn to make some fun Mickey inspired recipes right in the comfort of your own home? I have been busy cooking and writing about it these past few weeks. It has fueled a fun new passion to make Disney recipes at home. Here are some of the top ones you should try that would be simple enough to recreate at home. Plus Mickey-shaped food just makes me happy and takes things from ordinary to magical. Here are the top 5 Disney recipes you should try at home.
- Mickey and Minnie Jar Cupcakes. This one is a little baking and crafty in one. Jar desserts have been gaining in popularity. You can layer them with different things and see the fun layers. They make treats easier to eat and less messy than traditional cupcakes too. What you need for this dessert is as follows.
- Vanilla cake mix & ingredients to prepare cake mix
- Red & Brown food dye
- Chocolate frosting
- Mini chocolate cookies
- Red fondant (if you want to make a bow)
- Red, white, and yellow sequins
- Glass Mason jars
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the cake batter according to the box mix instructions. Then separate the batter into two bowls. Add a few drops of red dye into one bowl of mix and brown dye into the other, mix until color is blended. Add the red batter in the jars first about one inch high. After that add the brown batter into the jars. Pop them in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Take them out and let them cool. You can decorate the jars to resemble Minnie and Mickey with the sequins. Frost the jar cupcakes and put the cookies as ears. you can make a bow out of the fondant if you want to make Minnie. These are pretty simple to make and stand out!
2. Hidden Mickey Carmel Apple Slices. Caramel Apples are a big hit at the parks, why not make a variation of these with a little twist. These, in my opinion, would be much easier to eat too!
- Chopped almonds
- Light cocoa candy melts
- 3/4″ round pastry cutter
- Round pastry tip
- Pastry bag
- Silicone Pastry brush
- Parchment paper
- (I’m adding lemon juice to keep apples from browning)
Directions: First you want to slice your apples 1/2 inch thick. This is where the lemon juice comes in. Take the pastry cutter to make the Mickey-shaped head in the middle of the apple. use the tip for the ears and the back to cut the head. Once cut toss them in a bowl with some lemon juice it will help them from turning brown. Then pat them dry. Then melt your chocolate candy melts. You can do this In the microwave just do 10-15 seconds at a time and mix until they are melted. Pointer, be sure you do not get any water into the chocolate mixture or it will ruin the chocolate.
Put your apples onto parchment paper and use the pastry brush to brush the chocolate on the outside rim of the apples. Coat the edge with the almonds before the chocolate dries. Melt the caramel next and put in the piping bag to pipe into the Mickey heads. Pop them in the fridge to chill for about 15 minutes and enjoy!
3. Mickey Frozen Yogurt Bites. Here is a fun and healthy one that the kids will love. Plus it is only 3 ingredients.
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries or strawberries
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mickey ice cube tray
Thaw the fruit and mash with a fork. Add in the yogurt and honey and mix all together. Spread evenly into the Mickey ice cube tray and freeze at least a half-hour. That’s it! Just make sure they are eaten up when you take them out or keep them stored in the freezer. Simple but tasty Mickey-themed treat!
4. Mickey Pizza. How about having a Mickey Pizza night?! This is a pretty self-explanatory one to make.
- Pizza Dough
- Pizza Sauce
- mini pepperoni
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Whatever additional pizza toppings you like
Directions: Preheat oven based on dough instructions. Roll out pizza dough about a 1/2 in thick on a floured surface. I would personally make it into a Mickey Shape making two small circles and a large circle. Pour the pizza sauce in the middle and spread around dough leaving an edge around it for the crust. Add the cheese. Then decorate the pizza-making little Mickeys all over it with the pepperoni. If you can’t find the mini pepperoni you can always cut the large ones into little circles to make the ears. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the dough is cooked and you want a golden crust. Mickey pizza for dinner folks!
5. Mickey Meringue Cookies/Pops. Here is a fun one for you! How about some Mickey Meringue Pops? This is a gluten-free option too! If you don’t have the lollipop sticks don’t worry they can be Mickey Meringue Cookies.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- Food coloring
- Wax paper
- Pastry bag
- Large lollipop sticks
Directions: Set your oven to 225 degrees. Separate the egg whites and mix them in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until they are nice and frothy. Gradually add the sugar into the egg mixture and continue to whip until you get stiff peaks. In the pastry bag add the desired food coloring drops around the inside of the bag. Put the meringue mix into the pastry bag and pipe Mickey shapes onto wax paper on a baking sheet. You can add sprinkles if you like. Then bake for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and let them cool and if you chose to add the lollipop sticks to make them into pops or serve as cookies.
Source and Photos Courtesy: Disney
- The Backstory of Disney’s Carousel of Progress - May 21, 2020
- 5 Delicious Disney Star Wars Oga’s Cantina Drinks You Can Make At Home - May 14, 2020
- Top 5 Restaurants You Must Check Out When Disney Springs Reopens - May 11, 2020