1. Disney Nature Soundscapes
Listen to the calming sounds of animals and nature on Earth Day. You can listen to this playlist on Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, and more!
2. Disney Nature on Disney+
There are so many great Disney Nature shows available to watch on Disney+. The newest ones are Dolphin Reef and Elephant. There are also a lot of wonderful National Geographic shows perfect for watching on Earth Day.
3. Star Pilot Planters DIY
Put the perfect Star Wars spin on your plants with homages to your favorite pilots. This craft has instructions for 3 pilots: Poe Dameron, Han Solo, and Hera Syndulla.
What you’ll need:
- 3 medium-sized terra cotta clay pots
- Acrylic paint
- Painter’s tape
- Paint brushes
Step 1: Begin by using the painter’s tape to mark the triangle and thin rectangle shapes on Poe’s X-wing helmet. Paint the shapes red, and let dry.
Step 2: Use the painter’s tape to create the rounded rectangle to right of the red shapes, and paint it silver. Let dry.
Step 3: Paint the bottom of the pot with the gold paint, making a stripe about an inch wide around the bottom edge. Let dry.
Step 4: Once the stripes and shapes are all dry, paint the rest of the flower pot black, and set aside to dry. (You may need more than one coat for best coverage.)
Step 1: With the silver paint, paint Han’s hexagonal belt buckle shape in the top rim of the pot. Let dry.
Step 2: Paint the rest of the top rim a dark brown for Han’s belt, and let dry.
Step 3: Draw a rectangle shape with rounded corners on the painter’s tape, and carefully cut it out. This will be your template for the stripes on Han’s pants.
Step 4: Trace five more rounded rectangle shapes for a total of six, and cut them out of the tape. Place the stripes evenly down either side of the pot.
Step 5: Paint the bottom of the pot with the black paint, making a stripe about an inch wide around the bottom edge. Let dry.
Step 6: Paint the rest of the flower pot navy blue. (Don’t completely cover the tape stripes, but you can paint on the edges of them.) More than one coat may be needed. Let dry.
Step 7: Remove the taped stripes, and paint the stripes red. Let all paint dry completely.
Step 1: Paint the top ¼ of the flower pot forest green, bringing the paint just below the top rim. Let dry.
Step 2: Paint a grey strip about one inch thick below the forest green one, and let dry.
Step 3: Paint the bottom of the pot orange (the color of Hera’s flight suit), bringing the paint about one inch above the bottom edge. Let dry.
Step 4: Paint the rest of the pot dark brown, and let dry.
Step 5: Use the light green paint and a thin paint brush to paint the designs on Hera’s lekku on the forest green part of the pot. Let completely dry.
Use clear acrylic sealant on the inside and outside of each pot after the acrylic paint has completely dried. Let the sealant dry for a few days before adding soil and a plant.
4. Disney Park Map Art
Recycle your Disney Park maps and create some fabulous Mickey art! There are so many things you can do with this simple craft: Frame and display them on your wall, use them as bookmarks, or even write a note on the back to give as a one-of-a-kind card to a loved one. And the best part is that each one looks unique!
What You’ll Need
- Mickey Mouse template
- Regular paper or cardstock
- Glue stick
- 2 Disney Parks maps (or magazine clippings if you don’t have maps)
How to Make it
- Download and print the Mickey Mouse template onto regular paper or cardstock.
- Cut your Disney Parks maps into thin strips.
- Carefully cut out the Mickey shapes you would like to use.
- Glue your Disney Parks map strips onto the Mickey shapes.
- Trim around the Mickey shape to remove the excess strips hanging over the edges. It helps to flip the craft over so the cardstock faces up while cutting.
- Frame your masterpiece, or use as bookmarks or notecards for friends and loved ones!
5. A Bug’s Life Egg Carton Craft
Egg cartons are great canvases for painting, and rather than having them go to waste you can create your very own A Bug’s Life inspired craft. Enjoy painting these adorable bugs while having A Bug’s Life family movie watching party to celebrate Earth Day!
What You’ll Need
- 18-count egg carton
- Set of small acrylic paint tubes (You will need yellow, green, red, black, white, blue, purple, and orange)
- Package of multi-colored pipe cleaners
- Large and small flat paintbrushes
- Liquid glue or hot glue gun
- Googly eyes (optional)
How to Make it
- Cut your egg carton to use for your A Bug’s Life characters, cutting a row of 3 for Flik and Atta.
- Using your large flat paintbrush, paint your Flik egg carton light blue (using either light blue paint or mixing white and dark blue together). Paint Atta lavender by mixing dark purple and white, or lavender paint if you have it.
- Once their paint is dry, you can use green paint and a smaller brush to paint a leaf crown on Atta’s head.
- Add googly eyes (or paint on eyes) to Flik and Atta by using either a glue gun on low heat or liquid glue.
- Using a toothpick, poke two holes on the tops of each of their heads, and two holes on each side of their bodies.
- For Atta, cut a purple pipe cleaner in half, and place through the holes you made on top to have as her antennas. Cut another purple pipe cleaner in half, stringing through the four holes you made on the sides for Atta’s arms and legs.
- Repeat step 6 using blue pipe cleaner for Flik.
How will you be celebrating Earth Day this year?